AOS parent interview - do we need a lawer?

begemot

Registered Users (C)
If anybody had an interview when applied for AOS for parent, could you tell what was your/your parent experience?
My mother came as a tourist and then overstayed her visa for 7 months before I became citizen and applied for her (got stack in namecheck). I know this is forgiven, and she has a good reason to "change her intentions" (after coming to US she found out she will become a grandmother, and wanted to stay to be with the family).
But it looks to me that parents are seldom called for the interview. Would it help if I get a lawer present? What could they ask her anyway?
She is called for "initial interview" (does it mean there will be more?) in Houston at the end of February.

Looks like they have started scrutinizing more in parents GC now a days.

I have got query for my mothers AOS application and not sure what I can provide for this one..

The RFE wording is as follows:

"Name Difference: Submit documentary evidence to establish that XXXX YYYY and XXXX ZZZZ are the same person. The most persuasive evidence is photo identification in each name. If the last name is different due to a marriage, submit the marriage certificate. Note: Affidavits will not be considered primary evidence."

Good luck. Hopefully it will be straight..

Just wondering, how your mum's overstaying can be forgiven and how you would know that?
The USCIS does not care for one's reason to overstay their visa . Overstaying a visa

As a general rule Based upon the period of time the person would appear to be subject to a ten year exclusion from the United States if the person is identified by CIS. 10 years bar is for over a year oversatying and I can not remember exactly but I suppose for any single day (but less than a year) it would be a 2 or 3 years bar.

Now in few cases there might be the possibility of a waiver but I am not sure if this is one of those cases, I wish some one corrects me if I am wrong

I know for spouses overstay is forgiven. I am unsure of parents. I have also read (on here) that 7 months overstay is not enough to trigger the 3 or 10 year ban.

I know for spouses overstay is forgiven. I am unsure of parents.

It's forgiven for all Immediate Relatives: spouses, minor children and parents. However, an attorney doesn't make a difference - if it's forgiven, you don't need an attorney, and if it's not, an attorney cannot help you.

I have also read (on here) that 7 months overstay is not enough to trigger the 3 or 10 year ban.

A 7 month overstay will trigger the 3-year bar, but not the 10-year.