• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AOS or CP

janu1990

i was selected for the DV 2021 and is planning on doing AOS...it is stated that although you filed your AOS case on time and if your AOS case does not get processed by september 31 2021 by USCIS , then they automatically deny it . There is also news saying that USCIS is going to furlough staff and therefore to expect major delays....if thats the case is doing CP a better option than AOS?

CP has the same rules, you can submit all your docs and be as prepared as you can be and if you are not invited for an interview before September 30 you will not get your Green Card.
If you are AOS eligible I would suggest going through previous years spreadsheets (attached to the first page of each years AOS thread and review the timelines for people going through your Field Office.
Obviously your CN will still play a part in this as you can't send your package until your number has been announced on the Visa Bulletin.
The only person who can decide on CP or AOS is you, so to best make that decision I suggest you read as much as you can about the process - Mom's spreadsheet that I mentioned earlier and Simon's Blog which you can find here: http://britsimonsays.com/

thank you for the reply. My main conern lies in the fact that USCIS is planning on furloghing staff due to abuget deficit in agust which they anticipate major delays in process. I guess this is a unique scenairio where i need to weigh in which is the best option. From what i know CP doesn not get USCIS involved correct or am i wrong ?

thank you for the reply. My main conern lies in the fact that USCIS is planning on furloghing staff due to abuget deficit in agust which they anticipate major delays in process. I guess this is a unique scenairio where i need to weigh in which is the best option. From what i know CP doesn not get USCIS involved correct or am i wrong ?
The other unique scenario is a ban on CP DV issuance until at least January, which could also cause backlogs and delays.

You haven't even mentioned your case number. You should factor that in to any thought process about this.

ASXXXX26XX

OK, so that is a low number, which means you could file early. AOS has some advantages over CP - but one of them this year will be that your number will probably be current early while CP cases are still held back because of the ban. So - the answer is pretty clear.

OK, so that is a low number, which means you could file early. AOS has some advantages over CP - but one of them this year will be that your number will probably be current early while CP cases are still held back because of the ban. So - the answer is pretty clear.

thank you for you input

I have the same concern. My CN is ASXXXX58XX. My situation is that I don't have eligible visa yet. To make sure green card process go smoothly, I am thinking that I can apply an extension course in any university and process AOS by using F1 visa first and then send DS260 go CP afterward. Do you think it is feasible?

I have the same concern. My CN is ASXXXX58XX. My situation is that I don't have eligible visa yet. To make sure green card process go smoothly, I am thinking that I can apply an extension course in any university and process AOS by using F1 visa first and then send DS260 go CP afterward. Do you think it is feasible?

I don’t quite understand your proposed plan. Are you currently in the US on a student visa, or are you trying to apply for one to enable you file AOS?

I don’t quite understand your proposed plan. Are you currently in the US on a student visa, or are you trying to apply for one to enable you file AOS?

Not in the US now and try to apply for F1 visa to file AOS. Thanks for getting back to me.

Not in the US now and try to apply for F1 visa to file AOS. Thanks for getting back to me.

So that is not allowed. Using a NIV with the preconceived intent of filing AOS is considered a fraudulent misuse of the NIV. AOS is a process set aside for people already based in the US prior to when the decision to file AOS was made.

quick question ..i did the medical ..everything was good except TB ..blood test came postive and they ordered a X ray and i was of cleared of TB. I think on the form the doc puts that the blood test came postive but ...No class A or B TB ..will this be a problem ??....anyone had this experience before...its so wierd because i have never had TB before in my life and also have gotten TB shots ( BCG) back in our home country!

quick question ..i did the medical ..everything was good except TB ..blood test came postive and they ordered a X ray and i was of cleared of TB. I think on the form the doc puts that the blood test came postive but ...No class A or B TB ..will this be a problem ??....anyone had this experience before...its so wierd because i have never had TB before in my life and also have gotten TB shots ( BCG) back in our home country!
Having had BCG shots can give a false positive for TB, which is why they are supposed to do x ray rather than skin/blood test. This seems to have been what happened in your case.

Having had BCG shots can give a false positive for TB, which is why they are supposed to do x ray rather than skin/blood test. This seems to have been what happened in your case.
so this would not be a problem during adjudication?

I was selected for the DV 2021 plus case number is AS 50xx and will go the states in the end of October by e2 work visa.
Can I file ds-260/i-485 immediately once arriving the states? or should i wait for 60 to 90 days later to file? (if plan to go CP/AOS)
Is CP a better option for my CN?

Last edited: