AOS in NEW YORK CITY

hvanda

Registered Users (C)
filed with NYC local office:

I-485, I-131, I-865 July 2003
EAD received October 2003
I-131 received November 2003

Q:
When is reasonable to expect the I 485 interview? How long does it now take to obtain the approval for I 485?

Thanks

I 485

Q1.
Does anybody have experience after writing a letter to a Senator? In my case this would be either Hillary Clinton or Charles Schumer. Waiting more than two years for approval is completely ridiculous. No other developed country has such practice. It is a form of direct discrimination towards me as well as towards my spouse who is a US born citizen.

Q2.
If I get my approval next year after having been married for more than two years, will I automatically be granted unconditional permanent resident status?

Thanks

Yes, I have experience

Consider yourself lucky. I am a USC and my husband and I have waited nearly 3 years for our AOS interview.

After over 3 years of marriage and one 7 month old baby later, we finally have our AOS interview next Monday. We are extremely nervous but relieved at the same time. We have waited so long, we can't believe it is coming to an end. This board has been extremely helpful to know what to expect.

I started writing my senator and congressman last September when over 2 years had past and my husband was applying for his third EAD. I was seven months pregnant at the time and basically anxious about everything. The responses I received were that INS was doing its job, yours is in line, and please be patient and wait.

I had more personal interaction with my local congressman. Whenever I had a question concerning something, I would call or e-mail the staff worker. That is her job, to help USC with federal agencies. One day in April, I decided to make an impromptu personal appearance along with mother and my baby to my local congressman's office to introduce myself personally to the staff worker ask once again about our case. Within a week, his FP notice arrived. And within 3 weeks after that, our AOS notice arrived. Whether the events are connected, I will never know.

One advantage we see in waiting so long is that my husband will be granted a permanent resident card instead of the conditional one because we have been married over three years at the time of the AOS interview. He will not have to remove the condition and wait again with INS.

However, he would like to become a USC, and it is disheartening to know that the clock ticks for his three years of permanent residency after he is granted the passport stamp at the AOS interview. Despite the facts he has been married for over three years, waited for the green card for three years during that marriage, and has been living and working and paying taxes in this country as a student, then H-1 and then EAD for nearly 10, it is my understanding he must wait yet another three years (and then who knows how long after the application is filed ) until he can be naturalized. In this regard, I think the LIFE has to also address extraordinarily long processing times.

Good luck and don't give up!!!

hvanda said:
filed with NYC local office:

I-485, I-131, I-865 July 2003
EAD received October 2003
I-131 received November 2003

Q:
When is reasonable to expect the I 485 interview? How long does it now take to obtain the approval for I 485?

Thanks
I think each case is different but since I applied for I-485 it took me 26 months to get a interview notice.I got my case transferred from VSC to NYC 18 months ago and just now I've got a interview scheduled.(for next month)
Mine is employment based EB3

Hello,
I read your case , which looks quite similar to our, can you please share with us what were some of the documents you had with for the interview. I really appreciate your time.

Thank you!

M

I-485 in NY

We are still waiting for our I-485 interview. The process was filed last July, I received the EAD in October 2003, I-131 in November 2003. Apparently, NY is now processing cases from May 2002 but I think that some cases are now being processed in MSC (Missouri Service Center) to take some workload away from NY. All the notices of action I have received so far came from MSC. What is striking about the process is that it takes less than 6 months in Dallas, TX but it takes almost 3 years if you file in NY. That means that you end up paying three times as much in NY for all the forms as elsewhere the US. In my opinion, this is an indirect form of discrimination since the federal law doesn't apply to everybody in the same way and manner.

Question regarding new CIS policy

I have an impression from posted messages that the CIS is now working more efficiently. Some people have filed in early 2004 and have already received their interim 'Green cards'. Does it mean that those who have filed prior to 2004 have to wait another couple of years for their approval?

Hi everyone,
recently we went through the NY INS office and became part of a pilot project, which started sometime earlier in May and ended in September. we were asked to go for an interview 3 months after we filed. We used a lawyer and this seems to have put us in the pilot group as some suggested. Of course we were quite suprised to hear from them in such short notice as we were informed that there will be a waiting period from 12 -18 months. Shocked we prepared what we could gather and come up with a pretty full package of the documentation required but not all of it. Still everything went really smooth, my husband who is a US citizen got the biggest part of the questions. We are a genuine couple so we had tons of pictures and trips but we never got that far in the papers. Financial and living/rent paper were the ones that we were asked to show together with my husband's retirement plan on which I am a beneficiery. For all of you who are going to pursue this soon I would say be prepared for an eraly interview but nothing to fear. I got a stamp in my passposrt and would be waiting for a temporarly green card which I should replace for perminent in two years or at least this is what I was informed. Agian this is my case and I can only share what happen to me. Good Luck!

mimi7 said:
Hi everyone,
recently we went through the NY INS office and became part of a pilot project, which started sometime earlier in May and ended in September. we were asked to go for an interview 3 months after we filed. We used a lawyer and this seems to have put us in the pilot group as some suggested. Of course we were quite suprised to hear from them in such short notice as we were informed that there will be a waiting period from 12 -18 months. Shocked we prepared what we could gather and come up with a pretty full package of the documentation required but not all of it. Still everything went really smooth, my husband who is a US citizen got the biggest part of the questions. We are a genuine couple so we had tons of pictures and trips but we never got that far in the papers. Financial and living/rent paper were the ones that we were asked to show together with my husband's retirement plan on which I am a beneficiery. For all of you who are going to pursue this soon I would say be prepared for an eraly interview but nothing to fear. I got a stamp in my passposrt and would be waiting for a temporarly green card which I should replace for perminent in two years or at least this is what I was informed. Agian this is my case and I can only share what happen to me. Good Luck!

Did your application go to MSC/NBC??

I filed in Aug 2002 in NYC and still didn't receive invitation for interview. I am working on it with my congresswoman, though.

charts said:
I got marreid in March 2004 and filed I-485 at the end of Apr in New York City. I got a notice for finger print a week later; but it takes 3 weeks to make an apointment. Waited another 3 weeks and received an Interview appointment.

Has anyone get the interview this quick? I'm going for an interview in next week. The problem is I don't have much evidence in place since I only got married for 3 months. We have not even had a wedding party yet. So, I'm a bit nervous.

That is very very quick for NYC..did you get an AOS interview? and did you use a lawyer? It is great that folks in NYC are getting their interview & GC's earlier..but I find it very unsettling that there is indeed no method to this madness!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hvanda said:
Q1.
Does anybody have experience after writing a letter to a Senator? In my case this would be either Hillary Clinton or Charles Schumer. Waiting more than two years for approval is completely ridiculous. No other developed country has such practice. It is a form of direct discrimination towards me as well as towards my spouse who is a US born citizen.

Q2.
If I get my approval next year after having been married for more than two years, will I automatically be granted unconditional permanent resident status?

Thanks

Q1: Welcome to the world of INS. Sounds harsh but that's reality.
If I were you I'd do some little research. For example, in my congressional district, representative Zoe Lofgren helped a lot do local immigrants with their dealings with San Jose INS, which was at the time the worst in the country. Find out if either of your senators or representatives has done some thing like this rather visibly. And ask your spouse to write the letter.

Q2: Yes, you will get a permanent Green Card.