Anyone Submitted Multiple Passport Applications with 1 Certificate of Naturalization?

Ned Kelly

Registered Users (C)
I will soon be naturalized and I want to apply for a US passport for myself and my 3 kids who were all born overseas. Obviously I will only be able to submit a single Certificate of Naturalization (CoN). I called passport services to see if I could submit all the applications together with a single CoN - or whether I had to submit the passport applications one at a time (which would be a real pain as I'd have to wait 4-8 weeks to get each one back with my CoN and the whole process could take 16-32 weeks in total).

The person I spoke to at passport services said that the acceptance facility (e.g. post office) could photocopy the CoN and send the original with my passport application and the photocopies with my children's applications (with a note explaining that the original was with the father's application). However, since there is no guarantee that all the applications would go to the same processing center, this all sounds a bit risky to me and it appears it might be safer to apply for them one at a time.

Has anyone had any experience applying for multiple passports using a single CoN?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied for myself and my daughter this way and the Post office did what you have suggested i.e. take a copy of my natuarilization certificate and wrote that the original is with my application.

I will post when I get the passports

csc092000 said:
I applied for myself and my daughter this way and the Post office did what you have suggested i.e. take a copy of my natuarilization certificate and wrote that the original is with my application.

I will post when I get the passports

Thanks - I appreciate it. Also it would be helpful if you could indicate how long it took to get the passports from the time you submitted your applications. It would also be interesting to know if your daughter's passport took any longer than your own.

I'm a bit nervous about submitting my original CoN. I heard it costs around $250 and takes 18 months to get a replacement.

Good luck.

I think all of us are apprehensive about this since at that point in time it's the only proof you have that you're a U.S. citizen. On top of that, I was really disappointed that mine came back folded... you think they could have been a little more respectful and careful handling an important document like this.

At least once you get the passport you can use that as your primary document for proof of citizenship (and it's a lot more durable). Put the CoN away in a safe pace, ideally in a different location from your passport (I keep mine in my safe deposit box). While it's not easy to replace a passport either if it gets lost / damaged, it's much easier and faster than the CoN!

Ned Kelly said:
I'm a bit nervous about submitting my original CoN. I heard it costs around $250 and takes 18 months to get a replacement.

I received passport for me and my wife and our child. Our passport was send two days earlier and for our child it came yesterday.

They kept our original natuaralization certificate and returned with our our daughter's passport which caused a bit of panic when we got our passport without Natuaralization certificate.

Hope this helps you in applying for your kids along with your passport.

Hi csc092000,

Could u kindly tell me if you expediated ur application. Also were you able to go online and check the status of your application?

csc092000 said:
I received passport for me and my wife and our child. Our passport was send two days earlier and for our child it came yesterday.

They kept our original natuaralization certificate and returned with our our daughter's passport which caused a bit of panic when we got our passport without Natuaralization certificate.

Hope this helps you in applying for your kids along with your passport.

Thanks for the update. Did you submit your child's green card with the passport application? If so, was it returned to you?

Thanks in advance,
Ned

Yes I submitted original green card, my marriage certificate, birth certificate for my kid with a translation.

As I mentioned they kept the Natuarilization certificates from my and my wife's application and returned them with my kid's passport. All the other documents were returned.

Passport agency is much more easier to deal with INS. Even the website indicated that my kid's passport was on hold and I called and they mentioned they first needed to process our application and then use original natuarlization certificates for our kid's passport.