any threat to change employer after GC approval

gc_san

Registered Users (C)
Hi

Did anybody got a any questions or notice( or some action from BCIS) after changing their employer as soon as(1 or 2 months period) getting their Gc approval.Please share even if you have heard anything like that.( I have seen people suggesting 6 months but I have not seen any actions from BCIS).

Thanks.

I don't mean to scare you.

One of my friend got sued by his employer for diong it. This is happened because he had agreement with him.

As far as BCIS concern, they don't care.

Employer can sue you based on ethics.

If you are leaving in good terms with your old employer, you will not have any problem. Unless your old employer notifies about your job change to BCIS, I don't see any rpoblem from BCIS. And YES, you might face a question from them, when you go for citizenship.

manumahi,
Wow. Did your friend have a written agreement or a contract that described the green card sponsorship, and the consequences should he leave the company?

I ask, because my company for example refused to write anything on paper concerning thier promise to sponsor me for a green card. I took the risk that they were not lying to me, but now that I am at the I-485 stage I am glad nothing is on paper, due to stories like your friends.

This forum is to help other friends not to scare them !!!!

Any one can sue any one in this country. (One can sue the other person because he is wearing a red shirt !!). The point is weather that lawsuit has any legs to stand in the court of Law?

Its a free economy and people are free to find a batter deal. One can find many valid reasons to change the employer and many valid reasons to even sue the employer (not giving increment, not giving salary as declared in labor certification, not providing medical..... just a few)

I would go ahead and change my job after GC but wont spoil the relations with my employer. Or at least try not to spoil the relation. If he has all the problems then I don’t care, I will do what I have to do.

Hope this will help.

Agreed anyone can sue anybody. But the point is the judge should allow it to go for trial and before that some attorney has to take up that case. If a person has an agreement with his employer that he would work with the employer for a specific amount of period after he gets his GC, he can be sued by the employer to get back the costs of the GC processing. But in a lot of states it may be favorable to the employees.

Originally posted by GClessJOB
You will have problems in getting Citizenship, if you leave your employer within 6 months of GC

This is another of the most ambiguous situation ( one more to add to the BCIS crown). AC21 talks in favor before GC approval but keeps quiet after GC approval and different people have different opinions.

Originally posted by GClessJOB
You will have problems in getting Citizenship, if you leave your employer within 6 months of GC

Please refrain from making statements with authority when they are not 100 % true.. What makes you so sure ? And for god sake stop creating your useless threads...

My husband changed jobs about 3 months after getting his GC. Our lawyer did try to make him delay his switch but he didn't want to wait any longer (change in leadership in his old job made it unbearable to him). There is no real bad blood there, however, so there was no problem about him leaving. Our lawyer told us if ever there is a problem, it would be the issue of "intent" as in did he get the GC with no intent ever of staying at the old job? That is something that is difficult to prove one way or another. But in fact, when this whole process started for us, my husband had full intentions of staying with that job forever, if he and the new director in his office had not had so many conflicts. And we only discussed this whole thing as an issue because my derivative application was delayed (FP problems for me) and I was actually interviewed 4 months after my husband already got his GC and he was already working in the new company. The IIO asked me at the end of my interview if my husband was still with his old company and I honestly responded that he very recently changed jobs and the IIO just shrugged and said "Okay."

The only thing we need to keep in mind is.....our lawyer suggested if ever my husband wanted to get US citizenship in the future, he may want to wait 6 years or more, instead of the usual 5 years, because there is a chance he will be asked for his "job history in the last 5 years" and if the interviewer feels that he switched jobs too soon after getting the GC, it may not look good. I think this is a gray area....there is no definite time that looks good or bad. As I said, the IIO during my interview didn't seem to think the job switch was too soon.

But as far as I know, there are no repurcussions at this point for someone like that unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the 'intent' issue frequently seems 'interpreted' than well defined.Defined any where at all?if some body knows the link...it will be great info'

My GC was sponsored by my current employer with a signed agreement that I would stick around for 6 months after GC is approved. The only penalty if the agreement was broken is that they would recover all the processing costs and lawyers fees.

As far as BCIS is concerned, a person should work for the sponsor for a "reasonable period of time" after GC is approved. What is the meaning of a reasonable period of time according to BCIS is anyone's guess. General opinion is 6 months.

If there is anyway you can sit it out for a few months more it would be great.

I think if employee leaves within 6 months after GC
then irrespective of his agreement with employer,
their lawsuit thereafter or employer informing BCIS etc.
only problem MAY be for citizenship or if derivative application
is still pending and got an interview as somebody noted here.

Only the thing to know is whether '6 months' is considered as
reasonable time?

Here are some interesting questions applicable to similar
situation.

1. After getting GC if employer fires you within one month
will it be a problem for citizenship?
2. If after getting GC you are with the same company
with no intent to leave. But the company is paying
much less than it said in LC document can you
sue your employer or somehow do something
to get same salary as mentioned in LC?
3. After getting Green card is it good to change the
address before getting plastic card? Will the
address change may have any problems after passport
stamping and before getting plastic card?

Thanks
vcpat

What you people suggest in my case?

I have no written agreement with my employer, my employer generally don't bother after working with him for more the 1 and half year (I already completed 2 years with him)

The total cost of my GC paid by myself.

What all the option my employer have, if I change my job right after getting approved for my GC ?

If you do not have any agreement employer cannot sue you on
that basis. Only option that he can inform BCIS but as you said
he does not bother whether you work for him or not then
this possibility is also gone..

Only the thing as in previous email is about citizenship.