Any Evidence: Sending OCI Docs to MHA while on tourist visa in India

nitingonda

Any experience:

Is it okay to enclose all the required forms(A+B) + docs AS WELL AS my original foreign passport also for U visa stamping in 1 single registered envelop to MHA Delhi? Am not worried about getting lost, am worried if MHA accepts original passport for stamping visa post? OR Do I/my agent need to go in person to deliver passport for stamping after waiting 30-45 days? I want to avoid trip to Delhi....that's the idea.. thank you.

Make a trip. I did it almost 1.5 years back, but the place then was a chaos. They might ask for a "fee", but digging a file out of the stacks and stacks they have ... is "real work". I do not know the latest rules, but I will not trust them to hold my passport safely for 1-2 months ... not that they are doing anything wrong, but their system seemed to have a 99% reliability rather than a 100% reliability is should have.

I am travelling to India in 1st week of April on 6 month tourist visa and I plan to apply for OCI from FRO, Chennai as soon as I get there. I am in a bit of dilemma for showing address proof. Though I have rented a house in Chennai which I will occupy in April, I read online that one cannot rent an house while on Tourist visa. Did you rent a house? What address proof did you provide? Did you submit any utility bills also? Also, how long did it take you get the approval notice? I have a job offer and I have to join the job by May 15th. I will appreciate any help you can provide me. Thanks.

Actually thinking back, I do not think I was on tourist visa, but an Entry visa. That's what most former Indian citizens are entitled for. I do not remember any address proof kinda restrictions / rules from those days, but since I rented I might have shown the lease.
There is no guarantee you can get OCI from India in 6 weeks. You have to push hard, and probably pay to move it along. The actual processing time is about 2-3 weeks, if that.