Any background checks done by the Consulate for criminal record?

Skan

Registered Users (C)
CP gurus,

Since no police verification is required by the applicant if he has only lived in India and the US, does the Consulate perform any background checks of their own? E.g. name (SSNo) checks thru linked dbases with FBI, etc.

I was once arrested for drunk driving in the US. My lawyer negotiated a guilty plea, and I was let go w/ a minor misdemeneour charge since it was my first (and last, so far) crime. They did take my fingerprints when I spent the night at the police station after the arrest.

This happened 3 yrs back. The lawyer at the time said the charge will be removed from my record if I stay clean for 2 years, which I have. I\'m still trying to find if the case has actually been expunged. Is CP in India risky for me? I\'m scheduled for a Dec interview in Bombay.

Thanks a lot!

PLEASE HELP, GC/CP GURUS!!

Any suggestion/knowledge about my situation above. Thanks a lot!

No Title

They do back ground checks. But I am not sure if a minor misdeamor like this show up in their system. Reason why I know they do checks is because Chennai stopped a Visa for a lady as her name matched one pof the criminals. They have investigate and issue her the visa. The reason why police certs. are not necessary if you stayed only in India and US is because they have the access to our records. You can check your record. Try to get a copy through your attorney. My personal opinion is that minor misdeamer on record and clean for 3 yrs. since then would not effect the CP. But I would check the record before making my decision.

I do think it is risky

I do think going for CP is risky for you. DWI is a serious thing and I am sure it will be there in your records. They will remove it only means that if you get cought again after 2 years, they will not consider your previous charges in deterniming the seriousness of the the new charge. But the record will always be there in your file.

Did u get any answer for your que on CP rejection for out of status

Did u get any answer to your question on out of status from some other sources. I\'m also in the same kind of situation. Please do inform me if you have any further info on how much do they scrutinize the tax returns. My email is phillysunny@yahoo.com.

No Title

I heard that if you say the truth, you have nothing to worry about. You have to declare your arrest on the CP form DS230. You made a mistake and learned from it.
Consult a lawyer!

Yes I did

In short, if you\'re out of status for less than 6 mos you\'re fine. For details, you may want to check the thread on this portal I started for that question. (I would search the site by "SKAN" to get the thread)

SKAN, Best thing for you is..

SKAN, Best thing for you is call a criminal attorney and explain the situtation. Because i am sure that i have seen some cases on this forum where their cp was under hold because the name matched with some records on FBI list. So i am sure that you wont fall under FBI list, in which case you absolutely fine. And regarding your question of 2 years removal of record, the best expert who can give you the answer is a criminal attonery not your attorney who is doing cp for you.

If i were you i will call some criminal attorney and they will charge $100 at the max for half an hour of their time.

SamInd

If anyone has the answer ... Thanks

Hello,

I am currently in my CP stage of the GC processing.

Could someone pl. tell me what kind of background check is done during this process besides a FBI name check? Is this FBI name check only for crimes committed in the USA or for international crimes too? Will an act like shop-lifting outside the US almost 5 yrs ago leading to a few hours of arrest and subsequent unconditional release w/o any fines be caught in the background check?

Also, why are police certificates required for CP and not for AOS?

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No Title

fbi check is only for crimes commited in USA,anyway where did this happen, u do not have to worry if u were not arrested and fingerprinted in USA.

CP and DWI

Does anyone know what u\'r supposed to answer on form OS 230 Part II to the question "Have you ever been charged, arrested or convicted of any offense or crime" if i\'ve had a DWI. Is there anyone who has gone for CP w/ a DWI on his records? if yes what did u answer and what was the outcome of it?

drunk driving

Hello All,
I was recently convicted of DUI/DWI..but there were no accidents nor arrests, i was just taken to the police station and left when my frnd picked me up.
Later i went with my attorney and pleaded guilty and was let go with minor misdemeanor.

my question is , Does this affect my GC processing anytime in the future...
My attorney said that as this is my first offense and there were no accidents, this wud be only in my DMV records and not FBI records. he said that this is just a DRIVING offense and not a CIMINAL offense..

he also said that i can say "NO" to questions like "Ever been convicted etc"..

what I wanted to know and verify is whether anyone had problems later..

Thanks in advance,
Falcon

No Title

Find a good lawyer and Sue ur Attorney Immediately . Did u have a chance to search for DUI and all the discussions going on here ...

Just a advice ..Don\'t be a Stupid ...

Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum. I have a question regarding my friend's case. He is currently under F2B petiton (Unmarried child above 21 yrs, his mother is permanent resident is the petitioner).

My friend is Unmarried, however he is in a Live in relationship. But in a country like India where Live In concept is not that common, everyone belives that my friend is married which is not the case.

So my question is : Will it affect my friend's case as he is not married but if consulate in India or NVC performs background check and ask people there (neighbours etc.), they are going to say he is married.

pls. advise if anyone knows, how the background process (specifically in case of marital status) done by consulate in India?