any asylee medical professionals here?

rudo

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I am an asylee in this country( USA).
I have a strong desire to save lifes and so want to work in the health sector,MD if possible,but would not mind nursing.I just wanted to find out from fellow asylees ,how they are treated in this area.

:) :) :) :rolleyes:

What does Asylee have to do with "treatment" of medical professional? YOU can work anywhere you wish that doesn't require Secret Clearance. Get yourself a degree..you have all the opportunity..You are an asylee..doesn't mean you can't become a doctor! Don't even think about that!

rudo said:
Hi
I am an asylee in this country( USA).
I have a strong desire to save lifes and so want to work in the health sector,MD if possible,but would not mind nursing.I just wanted to find out from fellow asylees ,how they are treated in this area.

:) :) :) :rolleyes:

I know several asylee friends who are in medical schools now. They are doing quite well. They get the same financial aid as everybody else.

hampton8844 said:
I know several asylee friends who are in medical schools now. They are doing quite well. They get the same financial aid as everybody else.

I am graduating from medical school (MD) this year. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

any medical professionals here(USA2002)

I am currently in graduate school,contemplating doing a PhD in chemistry.I have the option to end with a Masters though.I have a strong desire to go to MEDICAL SCHOOL.My questions are:

1 .When it comes to financing medical school,I know its expensive,and one is required to take loans both govt and private.So as an asylee how don't you encounter problems especially with private lenders.

2.During admission how do medical schools look at your situation like status?Are you treated as an international student?How do the admissions committee views you.

3 .Since I am already in grad. school do you think a PhD may add value to my application later on or I should just finish my MASTERS and get on with my PRE-Med. since my bachelors is not from USA?

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

If you prefer private communication my email is ]rmagena@yahoo.com :( :( :(

I received a significant grant from USC medical school. And I qualified for Stafford loan and a private loan without any problem. Asylees are eligible for the same financial aid as permanent residents.

Asylees are domestic students, just like permanent residents. I really do not know how admissions committee viewed my status. My guess is it is not too terribly relevant. They were more interested in my grades, score, research experience and motivations for medical studies. Asylum might have helped me a bit by adding diversity to their class.

I do not think I am qualifed to judge the weight of a Ph.D versus a Master's for medical school admissions purposes. Perhaps your MCAT score will help you decide if you need more science coursework to demonstrate your aptitude for medical studies. I think your best bet is to confer with the pre-med advisor at the school you are enrolled now.

Let me know if you have further any questions. Good luck.

rudo said:
I am currently in graduate school,contemplating doing a PhD in chemistry.I have the option to end with a Masters though.I have a strong desire to go to MEDICAL SCHOOL.My questions are:

1 .When it comes to financing medical school,I know its expensive,and one is required to take loans both govt and private.So as an asylee how don't you encounter problems especially with private lenders.

2.During admission how do medical schools look at your situation like status?Are you treated as an international student?How do the admissions committee views you.

3 .Since I am already in grad. school do you think a PhD may add value to my application later on or I should just finish my MASTERS and get on with my PRE-Med. since my bachelors is not from USA?

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

If you prefer private communication my email is ]rmagena@yahoo.com :( :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctor Crap

usa2002 said:
I received a significant grant from USC medical school. And I qualified for Stafford loan and a private loan without any problem. Asylees are eligible for the same financial aid as permanent residents.

Asylees are domestic students, just like permanent residents. I really do not know how admissions committee viewed my status. My guess is it is not too terribly relevant. They were more interested in my grades, score, research experience and motivations for medical studies. Asylum might have helped me a bit by adding diversity to their class.

I do not think I am qualifed to judge the weight of a Ph.D versus a Master's for medical school admissions purposes. Perhaps your MCAT score will help you decide if you need more science coursework to demonstrate your aptitude for medical studies. I think your best bet is to confer with the pre-med advisor at the school you are enrolled now.

Let me know if you have further any questions. Good luck.

Doctor Crap,

You're not qualified to judge the weight of a PhD versus a Master's for medical school admissions purposes but you're qualified to judge people's asylum credibility without knowing their background. Interesting!!!! :)

Doctor Crap, if I made any spelling or grammar mistakes please correct me, you're good at that.

Can't wait for your response with mature threats about perjury and federal prison !!! What a doctor!!!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
cookiemonster -

If you can't contribute relevant information to the thread - please refrain from posting.

Its highly improper to 'attack' an individual without provocation - even if you have some 'history'.

thanks

Thanks a lot usa2002,I will post more questions,or if possible I could write to you directly