annulment

marie_travel

Registered Users (C)
Just curious...what would happen if a naturalized US citizen who came to the US based on a marriage to a US citizen, would ask for annulment? Since annulment has to do with church, would his or her citizenship be jeopardized in this case or not?

It would be an interesting topic.

One can obtain an annulment through court. My understanding is that once an annulment is granted, its as if the marriage never took place.

With regards to the OP's questions:

Since the marriage on which the GC was based never "existed" it would be interesting to see if what the consequences are?

Meaning what? Annulment goes through church, not state.

Does that mean you will continue to file taxes as "married filing jointly" since the state still considers you married?
You should check your state laws as to what you are supposed to do when there is an annulment through church. Any paperwork you are expected to file?

You can only file for annulment AFTER divorce is finalized, so of course, after that you would file taxes as single.

There are two types of annulments for Catholics, A Declaration of Nullity and A Formal Case. The former is filed if AFTER the marriage took place one partner refused to have kids, was unfaithful, abusive etc. The latter is filed mostly with people who are not Catholics.

According to the Catholic church: a church annulment does not imply that the marriage never existed, but only that it did not have the character of a sacrament (sacrament: the couple must understand what marriage is and they must intend their marriage to be a lifelong partnership which is open to children. They must intend fidelity and the mutual good of one another.)

I do not see how this could affect one's citizenship. Any comments anyone?

Had no clue there was civil and religious annulment, I was talking about the religious one all along. Apparently, religious annulment has no legal effect, and it goes through the church.