Am I risking my Canadian citizenship by taking U.S. citizenship?

AlanJEdward

I am a Canadian citizen living with my American wife in the US for almost 10 years, wondering if I should renew my Green Card or take US citizenship. Taking citizenship means swearing allegiance so would my Canadian citizenship be void in the eyes of the Canadian Government?

It's currently impossible to involuntarily lose Canadian citizenship under Canadian law. (Recent changes, which have not gone into effect yet, makes it possible to strip Canadian citizenship from dual nationals who have been convicted of terrorism or national security offenses. I doubt that is a concern for you.)

I don't know of any country where you lose citizenship for swearing an oath that says you "renounce allegiance and fidelity" per se.

It's currently impossible to involuntarily lose Canadian citizenship under Canadian law. (Recent changes, which have not gone into effect yet, makes it possible to strip Canadian citizenship from dual nationals who have been convicted of terrorism or national security offenses. I doubt that is a concern for you.)

I don't know of any country where you lose citizenship for swearing an oath that says you "renounce allegiance and fidelity" per se.
Thanks for the response!