Am I a US Citizen?

drbxgold

I have a USC mother and a British citizen father who were married when I was born in 1991 in London

From what I understand I AM a US citizen due to the fact that my mother spent at least 5 years prior to my birth in the US, with at least 2 of them post-14 (my mother came to the UK at 25).

She did spend some time outside of the states during her childhood but that was due to her father (my grandad) being stationed abroad in the Air Force...

By the way, I don't have a certificate of birth abroad...

I have a USC mother and a British citizen father who were married when I was born in 1991 in London

From what I understand I AM a US citizen due to the fact that my mother spent at least 5 years prior to my birth in the US, with at least 2 of them post-14 (my mother came to the UK at 25).

She did spend some time outside of the states during her childhood but that was due to her father (my grandad) being stationed abroad in the Air Force...

By the way, I don't have a certificate of birth abroad...

Yes, you are a US citizen. However, proving it may not be so straightforward. I know from personal experience, getting Consular Reports of Birth Abroad for my kids, that they're pretty picky about what constitutes proof of residence in the US for purposes of the 5 year/2 year rule. The "best" proof is school transcripts, but they may only give you credit for 9 months out of the year since you could have left the country during vacations. I remember hearing tax returns may be acceptable, but old passport stamps or rental agreements are not (passports aren't stamped every time and renting a place doesn't necessarily mean you're living there). You can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship (N-600) or just a passport. If you're not in a hurry to live in the States, I think it's advisable to apply for the N-600 first. Unlike the passport, it won't ever expire.