AILA President Testifies in Congress on USCIS Backlogs

CandyRoy,

Thanks for posting this. I read the testimony, it was impressive. I really felt like he captured the range and essence of the problems. I was wondering whether it was worth starting another letter writing campaign actually... write to the members of this subcommittee backing up Zulkie's testimony, by telling our own stories...

what do people think?

becky
WAC02-124

Everyone has an overdue case should definately go for it

We seem to referred as 'Secondary backlogs' in this testimony, in the case of CSC, backlog is slightly reduced, but secondary backlog has gone much worse; and that further burden the system with fax inqueries etc.

Secondary backlogs: ... As long as innocent applicants see
their applications delayed for months or years beyond even the regular backlogged processing times, as long as RFE waits are not counted in the overall processing times....the public will view any claims of success in backlog reduction as disingenuous or misleading.

Then

how is JIT calculated? I dont know how faxex will help but as long as there is pressure on BCIS then they would be forced to come up w/ plans that make sense. It turns out that the call centers is outsourced so they give us the same information that u can get either by phone or by internet.

JIT-how it is calculated

My understanding is that Just-In-Time (JIT) report is based on the physical files which are not assigned to adjudication officers. In CSC, there are bunch of old I-485 files still stacked up on the shelves labeled, “I-484 unprocessed.” On June 15, 2004, some USCIS officer took the oldest file on the shelf and blew the dusts off that file. After he coughed twice, he saw that the file stated it was received on May 15, 2002. So he reported to his superiors, as of June 15, 2004, JIT for I-485 is May 15, 2002. Thus, it is not completely accurate processing time because it can just mean that the files are stacked up on the adjudication officer’s desk rather than the shelf. If they employ or reassign adjudication officers to I-485 processing, more files will on their desks and JIT would move. Of course I never been to CSC, so some of this my imagination but this is what it sounds like in a nutshell. I also seem rumors that it moves on a percentage (5%-10%) of processed files, but I have not confirmed their source.