After I-485 Approval

vic2005

Hello,

My NIW I-140 has been approved and I-485 is close to approval (RFE related to medical exam response sent to CIS). I was wondering after I-485 gets approved do I need to get I-551 visa stamped? How long does it take to receive the physical plastic card after I-485 is approved? Also do I need to do biometrics again after I-485 is approved?

Thanks.

non-retro?

vic2005 said:
Hello,

My NIW I-140 has been approved and I-485 is close to approval (RFE related to medical exam response sent to CIS). I was wondering after I-485 gets approved do I need to get I-551 visa stamped? How long does it take to receive the physical plastic card after I-485 is approved? Also do I need to do biometrics again after I-485 is approved?

Thanks.

Best wishes!

I got my I-485 approved after about two months of I-140 approval (NIW in
VSC). In my case, my plastic GC card was sent to me at the third day of
I-485 approval. There is no any other activities required. By the way, what
is I-551?

Just for my curiosity: how can you know your "I-485 is close to approval"?
I submitted I-485 both for my wife and myself. I got GC in September. My
wife was RFE and she is still waiting. No any action except saying that her
RFE was received.

Best wishes! To have hope is always good.

vic2005 said:
Hello,

Thanks.

vic2005 said:
Hello,

Thanks.

I was in the same category. I got my physical green card 1 wk after I-485 approval. In fact, my I-485 approval notice came AFTER I got the physical GC.

I think you need the I-551 stamp for traveling purposes ONLY if your GC is taking a long time to arrive.

BTW, here is my timeline (non-retro):
I-140 (NIW/OR/EA) + I485 (self and spouse) RD 09/13/05
Biometrics (code 3) 09/29/05
140 (NIW) AD --- 10/13/05 :D :D
485 AD (self & spouse) ---11/10/05 :D :D
GC received (self & spouse) ---11/17/05 :cool: :cool:
145 approval notice received --11/18/05 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't count on a quick 485 approval after responding to the RFE. It took them 3 months to approve our 485s after receiving the RFE response. And I followed up several times.

Anxious-one. Can I ask what service center you went through? I am filing my NIW on Monday concurrently as I am from a non-retrogressed country and yours seems to have gone through very quickly.
Thanks

vic2005 said:
What do you mean by follow up? Did you call CIS whether they received RFE or not? Thanks.

I wrote e-mails to CSC 485 enquiry address, called the mergency number etc (e-mails were more effective). I am actually a part-time PhD student as well and wanted to apply for a fellowship which requires applicants to be permanent residents or citizens (that was the only fellowship I could fiund which supports part-time students). After receiving my expedite request, CSC agreed to look into the case and finalize it before the deadline if possible. Somehow, they couldn't and I missed the deadline. They finally replied to an e-mail yesterday which I wrote about three weeks ago, informing me of approval.