After GreenCard?

mjagannt

Registered Users (C)
I am not sure if this is correct forum to ask.

After GC is approved what are the changes&expectation for the person, between a h1-b and gc holder?
Otherthan gc can work & stay like citizen!
i.e. any tax change? or any change when you travel to india?

Things won't change much until you become citizen and you'll realize within few months of getting GC, but you asked so this is what I'm aware of:

Plus points:
1) Easier to ride-thru ups and downs in a market. Even if you are laid off.. you can look for a new job without worrying that uncle Sam will come and kick you out

2) Can do more than one jobs. Some companies are not interested in doing any legal paperwork, so you will be able to apply at those firms

3) Less chances of going back home aginst your will ( remember 6 yr limit). So you will be able to see your Social Security tax when you retire

4) If you or your spouse join school, they will be eligible to state financial aids ( in case its a public university goverened by gov)

few more that others can point out.

Things that won't change:
==================
1) assumption that you're safe here and can't be forced out is wrong. You can be deported whenever US government decides to do so .

2) same tax rates

3) You still have same legal rights just as an H1B worker. Still can't buy fire-arms. So though your neigbor can shoot you ,you can't do much other than reciting hanuman chaleesa

4) you are still an immigrant

4) and you are still treated as a FOREIGNER.

Last edited by a moderator:
After Green Card

As far as my knowledge goes the following needs to be done.

1) Go to Social Security Office and tell them you got your green card. They will need to update your profile.
2) Make sure you dont leave the country for more then 1 year. If so you have to take special permission.
3) Go to bahamas, sip on sex on the beach and enjoy your new found freedom.

Cheers,
-Twilo

Look for the thread

I believe you need to look in 'life after green card' forum.

There is atleast one useful thread that talks about what you need to do. Try searching on some keywords like SSN/ Social security/ I-9.

As far as I can tell:
1. You need to re-apply for the social security card by surrendering your old one (so if there is a statement that says you can work with INS authorization, it will be 'erased')
2. You need to update your I-9 form with your employer
3. I understand for taxes you need to file form 1040R instead of 1040NR or something like that.

There was also some mention about a need to register with some agency if you are below 25 years of age, and additional requirements if you live in Florida.

Sorry I am not being of much help, but search with the keywords I mentioned, and also try the 'Retaining your green card' link in immihelp.com.

Hope this helps.

This is not legal advice.

To add to Vivek's list of things some of the things would never change.....even if u r a citizen (at least not in our lifetime)....

1)Ur skin color, speaking accent/slangs, visible eating habits (work place), cultural/religious/festival participations etc. will show u as standing out but will show u as being "different". This is not to imply that u should change urself for that.

2)Speaking of asians (and those from India in particular), US senate still doesn't have any representation except for back-office genius boys (heard of Bobby Jindal).

3)In a country like USA, where everything is for selling/business/price (including influences and your voice), unless that starts happening, there will be a ? on ur identity.

4)One more theory, which I am holding as mine unless people claim their own rights to it (which I am happily willing to share, but not loose): Since 1776, none of USA presidents has been non-British/non-Irish origins. Blacks r top minority here. By some estimates, chances of a black becoming a president r almost neglible. Think of others!!!

5)I am digressing here but my point is, in USA, u have to prove ur worth to be identified.

6)Not only politics, elsewhere too there is always a Glass Ceiling (corporate world is a worthy example).

7)In exceptionally adverse times, US won't care if ur an H1B/GC/Citizen or who do u love more, US/ur mother land. It will kick/isolate u out. Remember: Jiski Laathi, Uski Bhains. Their rulings wil defy ur arguments howsoever legitimate those be. Though I'd try to be the last person to accept such behavior, but can I help it? I don't think so.

8)Not the last or the least, this is a land of immigrants. Those who came early have clear advantage. U can prove ur worth but will have to work several magnitudes harder and decades to catch up. It asks for sacrifices and determination.

Last edited by a moderator: