After Fellowship, J1 to O1 or J1 extension

palciparum

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I have completed med-peds residency. Was chief resident in 4th year med-peds. Currently I am chief resident in medicine (PGY-5). After that I shall be doing 2 year Adult Nephrology Fellowship.

I would like to go for Transplant Fellowship after that but will have completed 7 years on J1 visa by that time.

The options are :
(1) J1 visa extension - is it possible? and if yes, then how diffcult is it? Has any one heard of someone getting extension.
This option is better as my wife on J2 will do residency

(2) J1 to O1 : How diffcult it is? I would be double board certified ( both medicine and pediatrics) and nephrology fellowship? Few abstracts.
Also my wife will go on O-3 Can she do residency on that? and if not, can she apply for H-1 for residency?

I guess I am asking avery complicated question. Any HELP in this reagrd would be highly appreciated

Thanks in anticipation

J1 extension is up to ECFMG. check with them. they have eased their rules and tend to be more accommodating. O1 sounds possible, however your wife cannot work on an O3. she cannot get an H1 until you have obtained a J1 waiver.J1 extension seems like the best option. remember that the more qualified you are, the more difficult it will be finding a clinical J1 waiver to suit your needs.

J-1 extension

J-1 extension, not a problem, as long as you don't go beyond 8 years total.
Check with ECFMG, they have a series of requirements, including a letter from your home country, that might take some time to obtain. But it is feasible, I know several people that obtained it without a problem.

How about 9 years?

When I'm done with my residency, I would have used 7 years of J1 visa. I need two more for a Pediatric Urology fellowship. I heard more than 8 years on a J1 is pretty hard to get, but I was wondering how feasible it is??? Thanks

J-1 extension

I'm afraid the maximum you can get is 8 years.
Check w ECFMG ASAP, the paperwork you need is not impossible to get but it does take a while (letters from Health Ministry or equivalent).
Quick question for everyone: do the years on J-1 research count towards the 7 (or 8) year total?
A friend of mine did one year on research J-1, then transfered to J-1 clinical for two years, then switched residencies and wil have used 4 by the time she is done. there was a hiatus of a year inbetween where she was not on J-1 status. so that adds up to 7. can she get an extra year for say, fellowship?
Thanks!

I'm afraid the maximum you can get is 8 years.
Check w ECFMG ASAP, the paperwork you need is not impossible to get but it does take a while (letters from Health Ministry or equivalent).
Quick question for everyone: do the years on J-1 research count towards the 7 (or 8) year total?
A friend of mine did one year on research J-1, then transfered to J-1 clinical for two years, then switched residencies and wil have used 4 by the time she is done. there was a hiatus of a year inbetween where she was not on J-1 status. so that adds up to 7. can she get an extra year for say, fellowship?
Thanks!

Sometime the DOS consider the J research time as part from the J clinical and start counting after that and other times they start counting from zero again, no rules for that. I have two friends every one with different scenario. Check with the ECFMG to know what category you belong to

Thanks a lot.
I did some research and it is 7 years through ECFMG, with possibility to extend to 8 under exceptional circumstances. If you have a J-1 research sponsored by a University of other instutution, NOT through ECFMG, then it counts sepparately.
I wonder if you only have 1x 2YHRR or if it accumulates if you have multiple J-1s (one through University, one through ECFMG, for example)...

Thanks a lot.
I did some research and it is 7 years through ECFMG, with possibility to extend to 8 under exceptional circumstances. If you have a J-1 research sponsored by a University of other instutution, NOT through ECFMG, then it counts sepparately.
I wonder if you only have 1x 2YHRR or if it accumulates if you have multiple J-1s (one through University, one through ECFMG, for example)...

It is only one two year home country after your last J, whatever the number of Js before.