After 6 years when can I get my next H1 term

Clm_ramee - is there any update on your side ? Are you back in the US? Any information from people who were able to get H1 extended after completing 6 years would be helpful to the community.

My I-140 got approved during the first week of June 2008. So my university applied for 7th year H1 extension consular processing. But I think they did not send all the forms correctly. The CSC became suspicious and have sent a long long RFE asking for all kinds of documents from me and my university. It looks ridiculous. In addition to it, the university is now saying that I am not eligible for any more H time, as I have exhausted my 6 year H1. According to them once a person has exhausted the 6 year H1 period, they will have to stay out of the US for one year and then only return. Now I have to some how convince my university that I am eligible for H extension, even though I have exhausted 6 years.

By the way I am still in India, struggling with my university's international office. My first resistance come from there! Not from the USCIS!!

L1 to H1 transfer (6 years counted ? )

Hi,
I recently had a change of status from L1 to H1 (different employer).
Will the 6 year limit for H1 include the years I already spent on L1 ?

My H1 expires on July 2010. How late can I start for green card processing (labor etc) ? I may not want a green card, but I need to be able to extend my H1B by 3 more years.

L1 + H1 is not supposed to exceed 6 years.
If you want 3 more years after 6th year, you have to get I-140 approved before 6th year expiration and your priority date should not be retrogressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I-140 is already approved, can H1 holder alongside and dependent H4's get an extension?

pls explain... PD is retrogressed???

sorry... im only 18 yrs old and im an H4... My parents are not good with computers and im doing most of the research. I am graduating high school May of 2009 and would like to study in college in the U.S. but this is our 5th year. the 6th year ends at september 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your parents which EB category they are in, when they filed for labor certificate, and which country they were born in.
Then I can tell you if they and you can get extension.

Ask your parents which EB category they are in, when they filed for labor certificate, and which country they were born in.
Then I can tell you if they and you can get extension.

The only thing that I can answer for now is that they were born in the Philippines.

I just got more info on my situation.
Our initial I-485 got denied and our lawyer applied for an "MTR" (motion to reopen)
I read into this and and I found out that we cannot use the MTR to file an extension for a 7th year. Is this true?
Thanks