• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of Support - Help/Advice/Feedback Required

Momo1980

Registered Users (C)
I am a DV2013 selectee from Africa and the whole Affidavit of Support is a little confusing so here's my question:

My "sponsors" on my form are listed as my aunt and uncle (both US citizens) i.e. I will be living with them therefore I have provided their residential address.

However on DS-230-Part II I have indicated the petitioner as myself i.e. I will be financially sponsoring myself as I do not require a financial sponsor in the US as I have sufficient resources in my current country of residence as I am self-employed.

I have indicated myself as an entrepreneur/investor on my form as I do not plan to seek employment in the US but rather be self-employed.

QUESTION - do I need to go through the whole effort of the I-134 form or can I simply present my original personal bank statements and original company bank statements/annual returns/audited accounts and have a written affidavit from my parents who are the company directors that they will support me if required at the time of the interview?

Any advice or information is highly appreciated :)

QUESTION - do I need to go through the whole effort of the I-134 form or can I simply present my original personal bank statements and original company bank statements/annual returns/audited accounts and have a written affidavit from my parents who are the company directors that they will support me if required at the time of the interview?

Any advice or information is highly appreciated :)

Congratulations Momo1980 !

It is not clear if this year I-134 is required for everyone. It may be different from country to country. For Sri Lanka (link) I understand that it is a must.

In the DV13 instructions they write:
"
If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) from a relative or friend residing in the United States, and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the United States.
"

So it It is not clear - seems that it is not required if you can "provide evidence" etc _or_ have "an offer of employment"

If you can get a signed I-134 then I suggest you do it. Keep it in your pocket and show it only if explicitly asked during the interview.

Don't forget to update us with (good) news from your interview :)

Best of luck !

no you don't need an affidavit especially if u r from and doing your interview in Nigeria, but go with a bank statement if you are not in Nigeria.

Well I'll have my bank statements/title deeds/certificate of ownership ready to present at the interview and I'll also have my affidavit of support I-134 from my aunt and uncle in the US as they are both citizens so I am covered on both fronts.

I highly doubt the embassy will hassle me about support because they already have me on their database as I have been to the US several times for lengthy periods.

If anything I'm guessing I'll be asked why I want to emigrate considering my family has an investment portfolio in our country and what business I intend to do in the US.

My only hope however is that I'll become current...

DV2013AF0007XXXX
Entry Checked: 01/05/2012
Forms sent to KCC: 10/05/2012
Confirmed by KCC via e-mail: 25/05/12
Confirmation 2 by KCC via e-mail: 31/12/2012 - confirming my documents were acceptable for processing on a query I had on I-134
Medicals: NOT YET - will schedule the medical as soon as I receive my 2nd NL
2nd NL: NOT YET - I hope to receive this sometime between June and August
Police : NOT YET - I will prepare certificates two months before the interview
Interview: NOT YET - hopefully between June and August
Port of Entry - New York JFK - hopefully in September or October 2013 via a nice flight on Emirates and when I land at JFK it'll be Hello Tomorrow for me :)