Advice on stolen identitiy

gld42

Registered Users (C)
I had an appointment with the US consulate in ShangHai to get a new visa to come back to the States to continue me work and life. However, what I didn't know is that a total stranger stole my identity 5 year ago. When I was still single at school, this guy brought a copy of me passport, a fake I-20 form, a fake marriage certificate of this guy and me, along with his paperwork to apply for a visa to come to America as my husband.

Of course, he was rejected, but all the fake documents were filed. When I went to apply for me visa, the officer told me I can't be granted because they suspect I is involved in smuggling people to the States unless I can clear me name.

I don't even know this thief. I am really screwed up. If I don't clear me name, I will be banned to come to the States forever. This would cause crisis in my marriage.

I am innocent and a victim of a sham by a scumbag. I definitely need a good lawyer to represent me to clear my name and lift the ban. Do you have met this kind of case? If you don't, would you please be kind to recommend someone else who would take this case to help me?

Really sorry for what happen to you.

Never heard of this kind of identity problem. I do not know if it is possible. But by reasoning, you should be able to obtain copies of the false documents submitted by the fraudulous applicant. In the US justice system, the defense is given access to the prosecutor's evidence so the defense can fully defend him/herself. So if you have the false documents, there will be names and dates of the supposedly marriage. Then somebody can prove that on such date you were actually in the US. So you couldn't be possible gotten married in China. There should be a portrait of the couple together on Chinese marriage certificate.

There are more questions to your situation. How can a person get hold of copies of your passport?

Anyway, good luck.

gld42 said:
I had an appointment with the US consulate in ShangHai to get a new visa to come back to the States to continue me work and life. However, what I didn't know is that a total stranger stole my identity 5 year ago. When I was still single at school, this guy brought a copy of me passport, a fake I-20 form, a fake marriage certificate of this guy and me, along with his paperwork to apply for a visa to come to America as my husband.

Of course, he was rejected, but all the fake documents were filed. When I went to apply for me visa, the officer told me I can't be granted because they suspect I is involved in smuggling people to the States unless I can clear me name.

I don't even know this thief. I am really screwed up. If I don't clear me name, I will be banned to come to the States forever. This would cause crisis in my marriage.

I am innocent and a victim of a sham by a scumbag. I definitely need a good lawyer to represent me to clear my name and lift the ban. Do you have met this kind of case? If you don't, would you please be kind to recommend someone else who would take this case to help me?

Well, number of times we give copies of our documents (including passport) to organization/people (e.g. agents, employer, school officials, govt offices in US and home countries, attorney's office, etc.) who helps us to file visas.

meg_z said:
There are more questions to your situation. How can a person get hold of copies of your passport?

Anyway, good luck.

Do the following things - it may help your case

Do the following standard things when you experience identity theft. This will atleast establish that you are fighting identity theft.

1) File a police complaint: In your township in USA and also with local police if you are out of USA. Keep a copy of the compliant/ FIR/ Other documents

2) Call up FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and register a compliant. FCC has jurisdiction over electronic and other modes of payments/ commerce. They will give you a case number. Keep a copy of this number.

3) Initiate extended fraud alert at the 3 credit agencies - Experian/ Equifax / Transunion. You can visit their websites and follow the instructions on how to do that.

4) Change all your bank accounts/ credit card accounts/ debit cards, etc.

5) File all the above documents/ case numbers with your immigration office/ consulate.

Hopefully, things will sort out.

Regards
GCStrat :)

This is correct

This is correct. I have given out my passport copy many times, I don't ever know how and who stole it.

kewl said:
Well, number of times we give copies of our documents (including passport) to organization/people (e.g. agents, employer, school officials, govt offices in US and home countries, attorney's office, etc.) who helps us to file visas.

Yes, I was in the USA at that time, the lady on the marriage certificate was not me at all.

meg_z said:
So you couldn't be possible gotten married in China. There should be a portrait of the couple together on Chinese marriage certificate.

Anyway, good luck.

Thank you very much!

gcstrat said:
Do the following standard things when you experience identity theft. This will atleast establish that you are fighting identity theft.

1) File a police complaint: In your township in USA and also with local police if you are out of USA. Keep a copy of the compliant/ FIR/ Other documents

2) Call up FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and register a compliant. FCC has jurisdiction over electronic and other modes of payments/ commerce. They will give you a case number. Keep a copy of this number.

3) Initiate extended fraud alert at the 3 credit agencies - Experian/ Equifax / Transunion. You can visit their websites and follow the instructions on how to do that.

4) Change all your bank accounts/ credit card accounts/ debit cards, etc.

5) File all the above documents/ case numbers with your immigration office/ consulate.

Hopefully, things will sort out.

Regards
GCStrat :)

It is horrible

It is very horrible, my real husband is in the States, and I am in China, we are apart, and don't ever know when I can get cleared. Don't even mention all the financial loss that it caused.