Advice on N400 application and travel

iplayc4

Hello,

I would like some advice on how to proceed with N400 applications for spouse and me. We are Indian citizens currently with GC that expires end of Aug 2014. Our location is San Jose, CA. We would like to apply for citizenship before 6 months from GC expiry - which would be Feb latest, so we don't have to renew GC. However, we have a vacation planned for middle of Feb for one month to India and it would be nice to travel with Indian passport so I don't have to worry about visas.

1. When would be a good time to apply? If I apply before travel, do I need to defer the FP appointment since I expect it to arrive when we are away?
2. Is it okay to complete FP before travel and instead defer the interview if it arrives when we are away? Is this advisable?

Thanks for feedback.

Your best option is to fly between finger printing and interview. There is usually a 5 weeks gap. You should allow at least 3 weeks between sending your application and finger printing.

As you said - if the interview date encroaches on your vacation, you can always get it rescheduled. It is a painless process. But they would need a signed letter requesting the same.

Ideal would be to apply in first week of Jan. Your FP will be over by mid Feb. You will not be scheduled for interview before April 1st. It will meet your requirement. I am assuming you do not commit any mistake in your application and you are otherwise eligible.

In the event your FP appointment is scheduled after your trip departure date, you could try walk in. If FP appointment is not received before your departure, you could reschedule it after your return.

Just to set processing expectations:

San Jose/Santa Clara Field Office (FO) is one of the 4-5 fastest offices for naturalization processing in the country.

Now especially since you became eligible for naturalization long ago, if you apply on Day 1, you can expect you fingerprinting (FP) appointment around day 25-30. Once that is done, you would be scheduled for an interview within 7-10 days around say Day 35 and you can expect your actual interview on Day 45. Since there are about two oath's conducted by the Santa Clara FO per month. You can expect your oath in another 15-20 days at the most. So by Day 60 you will be naturalized - Two months from soup to nuts.

I would say apply N-400 so that it reaches them middle of January - get the FP around early Feb - ignore the FP appt. date and simply walk-in just before you travel. Now you would have about 30 days from the FP date to your interview date. Have someone check your mail so you are aware of your interview date. You will be done with your oath by April 1.

FYI - Salinas ASC (for FP) welcomes walk-ins whereas Santa Clara I heard has recently started "allowing" them ever since they moved to a new facility.

Last edited by a moderator: