Advice needed Re:FAFSA

GayGuy

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone ever had issues with getting FAFSA? I am being told to register with selective services. Selective services is telling me I am over the age to register. I first came to the US at age 27 so I was still over the age to register. Now I am being denied FAFSA as a result of that. What Can I do?

Has anyone ever had issues with getting FAFSA? I am being told to register with selective services. Selective services is telling me I am over the age to register. I first came to the US at age 27 so I was still over the age to register. Now I am being denied FAFSA as a result of that. What Can I do?

you will have to abtain a letter from the selective service indicating that you don't need to register with them. Technically, you don't need to register with them because you were over the age requirement; therefore, you will need to abtain that letter and send it to the federal authorities; otherwise, you won't be able to abtain federal assistance without it....good luck....

I go through this every year. Go to www.sss.gov and you can obtain the letter from them. They will mail it to you. Once you have the letter, go to the Financial Aid office of your college and they will be able to help. All you need to do is just write a letter explaining why you did not register for the Selective Service. In my case, I had no idea about Selective Services and that is what I have been writing for the last two years and I have never had a problem. The only thing is you will have to deal with this issue every year.