Advice needed on the GC Process

k_nraj

Registered Users (C)
Pls give me some advice on the GC Process:

After reading the detailed process from CuriousGeorge, I contacted a few lawyers to find out the overall cost and the anticipated time. I got various responses & most idea was to switch to H1-B, because of my Indian origin and long waiting time for the PD to be current.

Can anyone from this forum suggest me the best way to get the GC?
If staying onto the TN status and apply, is it possible to get the PERM done and postpone the 140 processing till about a few months before the anticipated PD become current?

Also, one of the lawyer asked me to get the ad prepared by myself with the help of the employer. I'm in the Category of Scientific Technician and my credential evaluation done to be equivalent to US Engineering degree, with my Diploma and working experience. Is there anyone can guide me to the process of preparing the ad

Thank You for the advice

I believe there is now a time limit (like 6 months) between PERM approval and filing I-140, so you can't wait indefinitely..

Is there a specific location, I should try? I tried to reach the Boston Office thru phone & email, but left with no return calls or email.

Thank You for your response & time

Try calling Santa Clara, CA office. Good luck!

Looking for best option to start with GC process being on TN!

HI all,

I am in the same boat as 'Knraj' is! And, I am in the process of Research for the suitable Attorney. I understand, the immigration laws change and get stricter day by day. I have started looking into this forum for quite some time, and a few Experienced people like Nelsona are doing amazing job by giving their best advices for a situation.

Well, my Concern is, is it still a Good option to go ahead with the GC from TN directly? And if yes, I am sure , one need to have a very strong and knowledgible lawyer for a peace of mind. I plan to apply for my GC process as soon as I get Renewal of my current TN visa in End of Apr 08. And by that time, my paperwork must be ready and available with the Lawyer. Also, I will hope to get into EB2 Category having over 12 years of IT expereince. But, according to a talk with the Lawyer, he mentions, it would be adviusible to withdraw the Greencard process, if they do not accept me in EB2 category because of a heavy risk of NOT getting the Renewal of TN1 visa!

I have recently tried to get in touch with Couple of Lawyers, who have dealt with the TN cases:
1) Murali Bashyam , www.bashyamspiro.com, mbashyam@bashyamspiro.com
( recommended by my University friend who is owning an IT firm)
2) Emmunel ;an Immigration Lawyer in NY, etglaw@aol.com
( recommended by a person on this Forum)

I will also try to contact Fragomen service; and will try to select One of them for my case. Do you have any Particular Attorney's contacts in this firm , whom I can directly call?

If anyone of you have any other best suggestions Or any valid Contradictions with my ideas, please let me know!

By the way "Knraj", how is your Attorney search going on? Please keep me informed, and I will do the same.

Thanks!

I have been on TN since 2001 and I applied directly from TN to GC and the process is still going on.

I strongly recommend NOT going directly to GC because of the time limit and overly loaded immigration centers.

- One thing is 120 days time limit between your perm approvals and filing I140, you cannot control perm approval. O got mine while I had 10 months remaining on my TN, miraculously I was able to renew my visa with 7 months remaining on my passport.

- Secondly, I got my AP and I was about to leave the country but I could not because on my way back my TN would not be valid anymore and my EAD is not arrived yet.

In case in close future they change TN from 1 year to 3 years then going from TN to GC would be much easier with less stress.

The new PERM to I-140 time limit is something curousGeorge should update in his GC process description.

HI all,

I am in the same boat as 'Knraj' is! And, I am in the process of Research for the suitable Attorney. I understand, the immigration laws change and get stricter day by day. I have started looking into this forum for quite some time, and a few Experienced people like Nelsona are doing amazing job by giving their best advices for a situation.

Well, my Concern is, is it still a Good option to go ahead with the GC from TN directly? And if yes, I am sure , one need to have a very strong and knowledgible lawyer for a peace of mind. I plan to apply for my GC process as soon as I get Renewal of my current TN visa in End of Apr 08. And by that time, my paperwork must be ready and available with the Lawyer. Also, I will hope to get into EB2 Category having over 12 years of IT expereince. But, according to a talk with the Lawyer, he mentions, it would be adviusible to withdraw the Greencard process, if they do not accept me in EB2 category because of a heavy risk of NOT getting the Renewal of TN1 visa!

I have recently tried to get in touch with Couple of Lawyers, who have dealt with the TN cases:
1) Murali Bashyam , www.bashyamspiro.com, mbashyam@bashyamspiro.com
( recommended by my University friend who is owning an IT firm)
2) Emmunel ;an Immigration Lawyer in NY, etglaw@aol.com
( recommended by a person on this Forum)

I will also try to contact Fragomen service; and will try to select One of them for my case. Do you have any Particular Attorney's contacts in this firm , whom I can directly call?

If anyone of you have any other best suggestions Or any valid Contradictions with my ideas, please let me know!

By the way "Knraj", how is your Attorney search going on? Please keep me informed, and I will do the same.

Thanks!

I still get the same advice from all the lawyers, except one lawyer. He said because he thinks it's hard to get the H1, with the current quota. Also he wasn't going to take my case processing because he's overloaded. I'll update the forum, once I have more info.

Thank You

These days, it would be ludicrous to put GC on hold waiting for H1, since this has become a lottery. you'd be better off trying to get the DV lottery

hi Nelson and others,

How are you!!
It was nice to hear some recent updates about this TN to GC process. By the way, I have never heard of "DV lottery" earlier. Would you explain it pls? Well..As far as I know, chances of getting H1 visa to India born person ( because of a very limited quota ) is like Winning a lottery these days!!

As someone said, Six months limit thing will make it very difficult to survive on TN visa, if Greencard process is started. So unfortunately, it seems the only best option for me at this time is :

1) Either Keep working on TN without starting GC process, until THREE tears TN visa term is started.
2) Or Give it a shot for the Expensive , Laborious and Time Consuming H1b visa Process in Apr 08 with current Employer. And, hope for the best to get the H1b visa in Oct 08!! By doing this, I of course miss the Precious time in my current Contract job.

Let me know, if someone has got any better idea to offer at this moment!!

It was nice to hear some recent updates about this TN to GC process. By the way, I have never heard of "DV lottery" earlier. Would you explain it pls?

-- depending on ANY lottery is not wise, therefore Nelson said H1 lottery should be no different than the DV lottery (Lottery based GC - and I do not think Indian born person is even eligible to apply for that)

Well..As far as I know, chances of getting H1 visa to India born person ( because of a very limited quota ) is like Winning a lottery these days!!

-- Chances of getting H1 to ANY person (irrespective of his country of birth) is lottery based.

As someone said, Six months limit thing will make it very difficult to survive on TN visa, if Greencard process is started.

-- What is this six month "thing" that you ae talking about? If you time your process right, you can go from TN-->GC (like I did)

So unfortunately, it seems the only best option for me at this time is :
1) Either Keep working on TN without starting GC process, until THREE tears TN visa term is started.

-- Start your PERM and then go to I-140 ASAP first. Then come back and ask questions about the 485 - people will help you.

2) Or Give it a shot for the Expensive , Laborious and Time Consuming H1b visa Process in Apr 08 with current Employer. And, hope for the best to get the H1b visa in Oct 08!! By doing this, I of course miss the Precious time in my current Contract job.

-- Nelson has said this before and I am repeating, depending on H1B is NOT a good option.