Advice for 2nd Visa interview for F2 after 1st time rejection?

suhasancd

Hi. I'm currently in F1 OPT. I have my OPT till July 2019. My spouse has applied for F2 visa last week in Chennai Consultant India and got 214b form. I probably think that the Q&A during the interview as a main reason to reject. I’m planning to re-apply after few weeks. Please advise on how to approach it on second time.

Details:
Dependent Visa: F2 for my spouse and kid
Validity: EAD end date 06/10/2019
I had the below supporting documents to support my case, but none was checked or asked:
1. New and old Passport
2. DS-160
4. Visa Fee
5. Visa Interview Letter
6. I-20 from University
7. Original marriage certificates, proof of marriage such as wedding invitation etc.
8. Financial resources – last 3 pay stubs along with US bank balance of $12,000 and India bank balance of $13,000.

VO: good afternoon.
Me: Good afternoon
VO: When did your husband leave to the US for higher studies?
Me: Aug 2016
VO: When did u guys got married?
M : Feb 2016
VO: So just before leaving to the US, you guys got married?
M : yes
VO: what is the purpose of your visit?
M : To be with my husband. I am going with my kid to be with him as a family
VO: So why didn’t u join him at that time (2016)?
M: I was working and also expecting a baby. So I couldn’t join him.
VO: How long will u stay there?
M: As long as he stays I will be with him.
VO: Are u planning to work there?
M: No.
VO: You mentioned working in 2016. For which company?
M : Tata consultancy services, Chennai
VO: What is your designation?
M : Business Analyst
VO: If you are going there how will you continue your job?
M : I am on leave to take care of my baby and I will quit anytime now.Also, I am not interested to work further because I want to spend my time with family.
VO: Can I have your I20?
M : (gave it to him )
VO: (returned I20 along with passport ) Sorry I cannot approve your visa.
M : (collected what he gave ) Thanks.

This post is confusing because “I” and “me” seem to refer to both spouses in it.
Who was actually present at the interview? Is the F1 spouse currently in the US? Whose I20 was presented at the interview? You say the application was for your sposue but then you say “my” case. Etc.

Apart from that an obvious question to ask is if the OPT work pays enough to support a family of 3. (Some of the questions seem to think the F2 spouse will end up working illegally.)

In addition to what Susie wrote, it looks to me like the CO feels like they’re trying to get the wife and kid in before the spouse’s legal status expires with the possibility of them all staying back. I guess the CO is thinking newly married couple living apart since 2016 suddenly wants to get together in 2018 when husband’s legal status expires in less than one year comes across as suspicious. Plus wife’s answer as to currently being on leave now to take of baby kind of makes no sense to me if she was pregnant back in 2016 and possibly put to bed by 2017.