Adopting my niece

jimgreener

Registered Users (C)
I recently became citizen.I want to adopt my niece. My sister is not able to help her daughter with the education and her husband is not in a position to support her education.The only hope I have is to bring her here. She is 14 yrs old though. I am 35 and married and have a 5 yr old son.

My question is :
1. Will it be possible for me to adopt my niece?
2. What is the procedure?
3. How long will it take.

Thanks for your response

This is not an adoption forum. I am afraid you will need to check a different place, starting with what are the adoption laws in your niece's country.

regardless of the adoption laws of your country, here is a must for her immigration:

the child needs to be an orphan legally (that does not mean that the parents must be dead, but it may involve determining that they are unfit parents - in your country - and taking the kid away). Read info on www.travel.state.gov on international adoptions.

the child needs to be under 16 to gain immigration benefits

regardless of the adoption laws of your country, here is a must for her immigration:

the child needs to be an orphan legally (that does not mean that the parents must be dead, but it may involve determining that they are unfit parents - in your country - and taking the kid away). Read info on www.travel.state.gov on international adoptions.

the child needs to be under 16 to gain immigration benefits

Also, different states have different laws regarding adoption, just in case you want to legalize her adoption here. Most states do require that the child is admitted to permanent residency first. While some states may not have a waiting period, some do require that you stay with the child for at least a year.

If she is outside the country, not likely as there is a foreign residency requirement.

If you are truly concern about her education, send money to your sister rather than deprive her of her child. Your question makes it seem like you want the US taxpayers to pay for your niece's education.

the foreign residency requirement applies to residents. Citizens don't have to fulfil it.

the foreign residency requirement applies to residents. Citizens don't have to fulfil it.

In my state an adoptee has to have been a resident with the adopted parent in this state for at least 1yr, regardless of being a citizen or resident.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you confusing federal immigration laws with state adoption laws?

I was talking about state immigration - incase she wanted to legalize the adoption in her state. Ofcourse she has to be in the right immigration status first.