Adopting a non-orphan child < 4 yrs from India by US Citizen

yml345

How does adopting a non-orphan child < 4 yrs from India by US Citizen work. Can the child be brought to US immediately after adoption? What is the procedure for adoption in India.

How does adopting a non-orphan child < 4 yrs from India by US Citizen work. Can the child be brought to US immediately after adoption? What is the procedure for adoption in India.
My uncle and a friend both adopted kids.

I know this:

1. The total cost is about $6000 - $10000.
2. Before you go to India you have to get a lot of paperwork cleared by USCIS and sent to the US Embassy in India. This can take several months.
3. The child is adopted by you in India. (Note: It can take multiple trips and each trip can be 1 month or more).
4. After adoption you have to get the child's name changed in India.
5. You have to get an Indian passport for the child.
6. You have to go to the US Embassy to get a Temporary Green Card.
7. Bring the child to USA.
8. Apply of a Naturalization Certificate if you are the US Citizen. If you are a US Citizen then the child automatically becomes a US Citizen.

NOTE: I am assuming that you are a US Citizen.

http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_398.html

It appears non-orphan adoption can work only if you are living abroad

ADOPTION OF A NON-ORPHAN CHILD

Immigration benefits for a non-orphan adopted child may be obtained under Section 101 (b) (1) (E) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. This section of the law has four main requirements.

First, the child must be adopted before the age of 16.

Second, the child must be in the legal custody of the adoptive parents for at least two years prior to the filing of an immigrant visa petition.

Third, the child must have lived with the adoptive parents for at least two years prior to or after the legal adoption. Fourth, the parents must have exercised primary parental control over the child during this period. There is no provision for a waiver of these requirements.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwhadop.html