adding daughter as permanent residrent

lokesh_31

Hello,

I, my wife, and my elder daughter, all have a valid GC. Though we live in India I file my taxes in the US and also have a valid I-131 till Feb 09th as attached.

In Oct 2016 we adopted a baby girl in India (Anvika) and I wanted to check if I will be eligible to apply for her GC based on our current status.

What will be the process in this case? I mean, will I be able to apply from here in India, what forms etc. that needs to be filled. She is holding an Indian passport.

Any response to this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks...

First of all, US permanent residents must live in the US. If you "live in India" you will lose your permanent residency.

Second, there isn't a quick way for the new adopted baby to immigrate to the US, until you or your wife becomes a US citizen (which I am guessing isn't happening anytime soon as you are not living in the US so you won't meet the requirements). If you want to petition her as a child of a permanent resident, you have to wait until you've lived with her for 2 years after adoption for her to qualify as a child for immigration purposes, before you can petition her, and then as an under-21 unmarried child of permanent resident, she would be in the F2A category, so there's another 1-2 year wait for visa numbers.