Absence of physical address in the US after citizenship?

octopus

Registered Users (C)
If I go live outside of the US for a period of time if I need to keep a physical address in the U.S. ? I know from the immigration standpoint there is nothing to worry about no longer. I am renting and I don't wish to pay rent if I need to be gone for 6-18 months.

I do keep one PO BOX for mailing, and yes I could probably use an address of a friend, but I really don't want to bother anyone. I also do wonder if anything happens if I don't notify DMV in my state (California).

Can somebody give an advice?

You have no obligation to maintain any presence in the US once you're a citizen, but a PO box is useful for post. For the DMV, use your PO box too. Nothing to worry about. Also, make sure you update your voter registration.

cafeconleche, amazing, thanks a lot for the info !

I am not registered to vote. In my state of Nevada, the drivers license has the physical address printed on the ID. However, on my electronic record I do have PO Box as a mailing address already. So should I surrender the Nevada license to DMV or should I just keep it and use it even though the physical address is no longer valid?

Also, all my bank accounts are linked to my PO BOX, but because of a law, they need to keep a physical address on file. I wonder if leaving outdated physical address may cause any issues there.

When I am back a 1-2 years from now, I just plan on updating my physical address to wherever I move to. Do you think this plan is sound?

Yeah your plan is fine, but ideally, you use a friend's/relative's address and not an outdated address, because if someone does end up mailing something sensitive, it would go to someone you don't know.

In many states, it doesn't matter that you have an old address on your DL, as moves are common, and they don't expect you to constantly get a new card. But, I am confused about Nevada's rule: http://www.dmvnv.com/addchange.htm. In any case, using your DL abroad with an outdated address is not a problem, so who cares.