Abandonned GC, now wish to re-enter

MarinaCVS

Hello, I hope someone can give me their experiences that may be similar to mine.

I am a Canadian, married to US citizen, lived in US and acquired GC in 2006. I abandonned that same year to return for a family illness, and never returned. In fact, my husband ended up getting PR status here in Canada as we decided to stay to help family. We've been here 14 years and now wish to return to the States to be closer to my husband's family.

I was advised to track down my original I-130 receipt number, which could potentially speed up the process for me. I am in the midst of doing just that, have submitted my FOIA request for the I-797 Notice of Action in response to the I-130 (I actually have the approved I-130 document, just not the receipt number). From there, I'm told they can submit my I-485 along w/ the original receipt number, though no guarantees that it will be accepted.

We feel a bit stalled at this point - not sure if it's best to just wait until we cross the border to start the process, or start the process from here. I know it takes longer from the Canadian side of the border. We don't plan on returning until late spring when daughter has graduated high school, but as we sit in our holding pattern, I'm wondering what best steps to take. AND wondering what is best way to land. We will be driving, so it will be a land crossing -- any issues with doing it that way vs. flying? Just nervous about crossing w/out having LPR status, but I'm just not certain of the most efficient way to do this.

Would love to hear others' experiences.

Last edited: