A warrant was issued for false statement at DMV.FELONY

Henboy, I am sure your father (may he R.I.P.) will understand your decision. Also for many of us immigrants, USA is now home especially if you're happy here. All the best.
Thanks for checking on me and the encouragement.I pray for others going through the same challenge.

My probation is over , now what?Hmm. I will call the state court, to see of I can get some disposition papers.Not sure if I can afford a lawyer to file my citizenship after all this money I have spent

My probation is over , now what?Hmm. I will call the state court, to see of I can get some disposition papers.Not sure if I can afford a lawyer to file my citizenship after all this money I have spent

Good to know that your probation is over. Best of luck now with the next steps.

Coincidentally my probation ends this year too and I have to wait 5 years to demonstrate good moral character. My GC will expire next year but I'm scared to come in and get it renewed due to fear of being found deportable. I guess my offenses are less serious but shit it's still serious because one of them is a CIMT.

Henboy,

Long time. Good to know your probation is over. See a qualified immigration attorney before EVER filing for citizenship. Things are rough now these days for immigrants as you are aware, and doubly so for those with felonies on their record.

Last edited:
Coincidentally my probation ends this year too and I have to wait 5 years to demonstrate good moral character. My GC will expire next year but I'm scared to come in and get it renewed due to fear of being found deportable. I guess my offenses are less serious but shit it's still serious because one of them is a CIMT.
One CIMT does not make you deportable. That is clearly established by the courts. See a qualified immigration attorney if you are not totally comfortable.

One CIMT does not make you deportable. That is clearly established by the courts. See a qualified immigration attorney if you are not totally comfortable.
That conviction is deportable under Domestic Violence grounds of deportation and it also may or may not qualify as a CIMT. I already have a lawyer but he's not telling me anything, I guess I have to actively asking questions but all he said was to wait out five years to demonstrate good moral character; he seemed very unconcerned. I have two other convictions that are very likely are not CIMTs based on my research because there haven't been precedents for them to be CIMTs.

That conviction is deportable under Domestic Violence grounds of deportation and it also may or may not qualify as a CIMT. I already have a lawyer but he's not telling me anything, I guess I have to actively asking questions but all he said was to wait out five years to demonstrate good moral character; he seemed very unconcerned. I have two other convictions that are very likely are not CIMTs based on my research because there haven't been precedents for them to be CIMTs.

If the Domestic Violence conviction was classified as an aggravated felony, you are toast. A domestic violence crime could fall under the petty offense exception, if the maximum jail time the person could have been sentenced to was one year or less and the person was not sentenced to more than six months of imprisonment.

Waiting out the five years is not a cure all because it doesn’t matter how long the person has held the visa or green card—committing the crime at any time after being admitted to the U.S. is sufficient to make the person deportable.

If you have multiple convictions, and a Domestic Violence conviction you should be talking to a competent immigration attorney. Soliciting advice online from people who do not have access to your charging documents and final disposition documents can lead you into a pit. This is no trivial matter. If necessary pay another competent attorney, you don't have to stick to an incompetent attorney just because you have already paid him.

I'm aware that a DV conviction will make me deportable anytime after admission. I will ask my lawyer for more details. However, I did some research online, as long as I have only one cimt that qualifies as a petty offense (the DV conviction was a misdemeanor, possible jail time was one year or less and I was sentenced to less than three months) I should qualify for cancellation of removal. If one of the other two convictions was a cimt, then I'm truely screwed. We haven't paid the lawyer yet and we'll be looking for a competent one. Thank you for the advice.

I'm aware that a DV conviction will make me deportable anytime after admission. I will ask my lawyer for more details. However, I did some research online, as long as I have only one cimt that qualifies as a petty offense (the DV conviction was a misdemeanor, possible jail time was one year or less and I was sentenced to less than three months) I should qualify for cancellation of removal. If one of the other two convictions was a cimt, then I'm truely screwed. We haven't paid the lawyer yet and we'll be looking for a competent one. Thank you for the advice.
Great topic guys. My lawyer wants me to come and see him for us to file for the citizenship, but I am thinking on waiting a few more years.My 10 GC expires in 2022.Not sure to file for citizenship a few months before the GC expires, so that when I get turned down, I can go ahead and file to renew the GC.I have to go see this laywer for more advice on this matter.

Yep, it's been a long road.The crime committed is in my record as a 2011.Not sure if that matters .It's been really tough trying to get an apartment with a felony conviction on my record.

Yep, it's been a long road.The crime committed is in my record as a 2011.Not sure if that matters .It's been really tough trying to get an apartment with a felony conviction on my record.

Ive been arrested several times
Last time being 2010
Since then I turned my life around

Prosecutor was offering 5-10 yearsas a plea deal!
That was a wake up call for me
My lawyer got the case dissmissed. Cost me $12000
Point is. In bad situations you cant think about how much it costs. Any good lawyer couldve gotten you clear of that charge. But unfortunately yours didnt and thats all in the past now.

I got my arrests expunged and listed them in the application. I was never convicted of anything though

I applied for citizenship last year and got it this year
Did it on my own without a lawyer. Even with out convictions and the last 8 years being trouble free i still had to give dispositions for arrest and final order of expungement

The fact that you were convicted isnt good

Wait atleatst 5 years that way they cant use that conviction against you and dont risk getting deported

You live and you learn . I know i did!!

Godlod luck

Ive been arrested several times
Last time being 2010
Since then I turned my life around

Prosecutor was offering 5-10 yearsas a plea deal!
That was a wake up call for me
My lawyer got the case dissmissed. Cost me $12000
Point is. In bad situations you cant think about how much it costs. Any good lawyer couldve gotten you clear of that charge. But unfortunately yours didnt and thats all in the past now.

I got my arrests expunged and listed them in the application. I was never convicted of anything though

I applied for citizenship last year and got it this year
Did it on my own without a lawyer. Even with out convictions and the last 8 years being trouble free i still had to give dispositions for arrest and final order of expungement

The fact that you were convicted isnt good

Wait atleatst 5 years that way they cant use that conviction against you and dont risk getting deported

You live and you learn . I know i did!!

Godlod luck
Thanks for the response.The charge on my record was in 2011 for a crime committed in 2009.I finished probabation last year sept.I will wait to file for citizenship next year.During this time, I will be making moves to pack up in case.

Thanks for the response.The charge on my record was in 2011 for a crime committed in 2009.I finished probabation last year sept.I will wait to file for citizenship next year.During this time, I will be making moves to pack up in case.
Why not wait a few more years when your odd are definitely better ? Than risk filing next year when the possibility of a negative outcome is so high.
Its worth the wait man...

Why not wait a few more years when your odd are definitely better ? Than risk filing next year when the possibility of a negative outcome is so high.
Its worth the wait man...
Things have changed at the past day or two with the new rules in the news. Have you read it? Anyone planning on changing their status , with a crime such as misrepresentation or abuse of govt benefits will more likely get a notice to appear NTA

Not sure what to even do right now
My friend how have you been? It has been a long time. I will advice you to wait until Trump is out of power hopefully 2020 and USCIS stop enforcing his policies, then you apply for citizenship.

Things have changed at the past day or two with the new rules in the news. Have you read it? Anyone planning on changing their status , with a crime such as misrepresentation or abuse of govt benefits will more likely get a notice to appear NTA
The abuse of government benefits disqualification only applies to those filing for permanent residency, it does not apply to people like you filing for citizenship.

The proposed rule would apply to individuals seeking admission to the United States from abroad on immigrant or nonimmigrants visas, individuals seeking to adjust their status to that of lawful permanent residents from within the United States, and individuals within the United States who hold a temporary visa and seek to either extend their stay in the same nonimmigrant classification or to change their status to a different nonimmigrant classification. https://www.uscis.gov/legal-resources/proposed-change-public-charge-ground-inadmissibility

Last edited: