A typical Case of my friend

Test_Forum_User

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
One of my friend is in a typical situation. His I-94 card in the passport is taken away during the interview and the officer didnot return it back saying they will get back to him. But it is over an year and BCIS never came back. He is on EAD with no H1b status. If my friend wants to go back to india what are his options?. Does he need to have I-94 card as a must to leave US.
Please provide some suggestion.

Also, do any of you/your fiends came accross this situation where I-94 is taken during interview?.

Thanks in advance,

“ His I-94 card in the passport is taken away during the interview and the officer didn’t return it”

--- Where the I-94 was taken away? What kind of interview? Was it I-485 interview? You should post the complete details to get an answer

He is using EAD so he must be having AP and his status is AOS pending. If he has valid AP then I think he can get back to US with AP but taking his I-94 confuses as I dont know the reason why they took it.
if he has the COPY of that I-94 he should keep it for his records with him

My I-94 was taken also during the AOS interview. My AOS was not approved on the spot, and I am still waiting for a couple of months now. SO I am in the same situation as your friend.

I-94 card during interview..

Yes, it is I-485 interview that officer took my friends I-94 card.

Hi Wella,
what is the INS office that they took ur I-94 card. My friend's case is from Baltimore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in the same boat

I had my AOS interview in Baltimore last 9/10. Because of fingerprint issues (3 FP within one year, and they still couldn't properly read my fps so I had to get a police clearance), the officer did not stamp my PP. But he did take away my I-94. He also very specifically told me I should not leave this country until I have heard back from them. He mentioned it about 3 times during the course of the interview, very emphatically.

So at this point, even with AP, my lawyer has advised me to stay put, as much as possible, until I hear back from INS.

Hi Wella,

Hi Wella,
Thanks for your reply. my friend address is MD but his employer pays different state tax where the employer is located and that is the reason y officer took I-94 card.

Do you have this type of situation?.

Thanks,

Test_Forum_User,

This does seem like a logcal reason. Taxes is IRS jurisdiction, I don't think BCIS would be much concerned about state taxes??!!

Well, then you never know BCIS must be looking for more excuses to delay and harress GC applicants.

Let us know if you get more info.

Hi Snetra2002

Hi,
my lawyer said the same thing that taxes are IRS issue but immigration office said this is the reason they need to investigate and took the I-94 card.