A small to-marry dilemma: enter the US with B1/B2 visa or apply for K visa?

maswei2

Registered Users (C)
I've been arguing with my friend, who is not an American and living abroad. He wants to get married with his girlfriend in the US. He has a B1/B2 visa and he has been to the US a couple of times and his visa will expire in two years. I advised him to contact his girlfriend to apply for a K1 visa. Or, she could come to his country to get married then apply for a K3 visa or that kind of visa to allow her to take her non-American husband to the States. So to be on the safe side and avoid any legal hurdles. Besides, the US Consulate would appreciate honesty and a B1/B2 does not entitle one to get married or have a job, so it is not wise to do something not in line with their rules.

However, her family keeps assuring that everything will be taken care of when he enters the US again with his still valid B1/B2 visa. They will consult a laywer to arrange everything.

Is my opinion correct or am I missing something? Would being too honest risk something?

Last edited by a moderator:
and a B1/B2 does not entitle one to get married or

It is perfectly fine to enter on a B1/B2 and intend to get married (as long as they are honest about it). It is not okay to enter on B1/B2 with intent to stay here and apply to immigrate. (I guess that's what they're planning?)