a serious warning to asylum-based LPRs

thankful

Registered Users (C)
http://news.sina.com/us/singtao/104-103-102-105/2009-02-26/06233670580.html

The above link is a Chinese language article (from a reputable newspaper that is published worldwide) reporting that Chinese green card holders (asylum-based) who returned to the United States after visiting China had their green cards taken away by airport immigration officers and ordered to see immigration judges. The story interviewed two immigration lawyers who said that this practice is becoming increasingly common. One lawyer expressed amazement that people claimed persecution could turn around and visit China. The story also quoted a LPR whose card was taken away. He was told by "friends" that it would be OK to go and nobody would care. He will forever regret the ill-informed advice.

A disclaimer is in order: Chinese is not my first language. I studied it at Yale University. Native speakers should read this story to double check.

I hope stories like this one counter the smart alec attitude of some asylum recipients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow..amazing! Well its logic though..why would you go back to the same country who persecuted you? China hasn't changed politically for the last two decades..same human rights violation.

So Thankful..what about people who renewed their NP but never went to COP?

neither sina.com nor singtao is reputable.
I am not questioning the story or asylum-based LPRs going back to COP.

OMG, this is devastating! I still haven't visited my mom. Tried to bring her here, she even got a visa, but she simply afraids to fly due to her condition.

I feel so bad and shameful because I am afraid to go. (not only retrurning here but getting to the COP) I was planning to go late April, because her condition is deteriorating. And now this! The only good thing is they refered the case to the judge. That might be helpful, in worst case scenario we can prove our case in court.

Can a native speaker, please, give us some more detailes? How long the LPR stayed in China, when he got his GC, etc. Our chinese fellows, please translate some more of the article.

I am considering now to call my senator before I go or this is a stupid idea? :confused:

the bottom line is... don't go there... wait... become a citizen... then go... if u desperately need to see someone... do it in a neighbor country!

if helps i used the google translation

Yu Ning newspaper reporter in Los Angeles reported

Get a green card for political asylum in person Please note that while you apply to the green card, but not necessarily will be able to freely travel from the homeland and the United States, recently there are a number of overseas Chinese green card holders such person, the Lunar New Year return After the holidays, returned to Los Angeles, the green card at the airport by immigration officials confiscated the grounds that they had been subjected to political persecution in China and can not return to a green card to apply for asylum on the grounds, but now it is returning the New Year, showing the original application false.

A Beijing man, go home before the Lunar New Year Chinese New Year had not expected back at Los Angeles International Airport by an immigration officer stopped a green card to detain and notify him to attend immigration court hearings in order to know whether to keep a green card. Had the man could not the original unit due to bureaucracy, and to study the name of public service came to Los Angeles, and charwoman living at the restaurant. Friend introduction by the immigration office to find him running for a green card to apply for religious persecution, before and after a few thousand dollars spent, the last successful applicants to the right of permanent residence. He said that already a few years did not go home and listen to some is also obtained a green card for political asylum, said a friend, back to China to visit relatives No problem, until this year determined to take a risk, is not expected to have detained a green card, the years of painstaking efforts are likely to see bath .

Yang Ling counsel pointed out that the recent case of a green card was confiscated indeed increased, in fact, the relevant provisions of immigration has always existed, the recent economic environment may be poor, to reduce the visitors to allow immigration officials have more time to double-check the identity of immigrants. She said that, in general, if many incoming passengers, immigration busy, the review will compare toad, a lot of people take refuge from the Chinese green card back and therefore have not been making things difficult.

She also pointed out that the mainland people applied for political asylum a lot of reasons, some one-child policy, some religious persecution, some pro-democracy movement. But no matter on what grounds the application, the U.S. government are based on the applicant to return after the danger of humanitarian considerations will be issued a green card. She said, "Now that these people dare to go back to visit their relatives New Year, we note that when applying for a residence of the reasons no longer exist, at least, go back to the mainland was not at risk, immigration will naturally have the right to revoke the green card." She also said that such people to enter the Chinese consulate visa or passport extension if the United States immigration authorities found that a green card may also be revoked, due to be considered in the consulate of China's territory.

Yang Ling pointed out that the license check at the airport is not responsible for immigration judges, the right to decide the cancellation of a green card, can only temporarily detained, or voluntarily give up the green card to produce a written consent to allow the parties Signature. She said that this is a very critical moment, if a green card holder of the English poor, did not clarify the situation on the consent form at Signature, it means having to go through on the decision to abandon the right of abode in the United States, when the INS can be a party on board the same plane repatriation. If you want to retain the right of abode in the United States, should be rejected at the time signature, and requested that the Immigration Appeals Tribunal.

Immigration court usually quick month, the slowest about three months, the airport immigration officer to the detained person a green card issued to I-94 white card, so that the parties hold the United States pending trial of this entry. She pointed out that the current economic downturn, the Government money, in the past, such problems have been singled out a green card holder, are often taken into custody on the spot, such as immigration court, Guan is one a few months.

Another at the city of San Gabriel Chinese practicing lawyers also disclosed that recently there are several grounds for political asylum at the time to obtain permanent residence customers have also taken place in the same situation, he suggested that the granting of political asylum to people who apply for a green card should be no haste, be patient, since cardholders will be able to apply for naturalization five years, it is necessary to return to their home country should be the best at getting the United States citizenship after the trip.