• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

A quick question on eligibility for DV

GotPR?

Registered Users (C)
Out of curiosity..

I have seen "vocational school" is one of the choices on DV form, but I also saw some statement saying that vocational school is not acceptable. This statement is all over the internet if you search on google, but none of them is from State Department , but they are from the third parties that probably doing some business over DV..

Does vocational school(degree) satisfy the DV requirement ?
Is there anyone who won the lottery with checking on vocational school box in the form ?

This is where people always seem to get confused (especially our friends from Africa).

If someone is trying to qualify using the formal education route, then a simple high-school degree will suffice. (The high-school degree should be 12 years of education and should qualify the winner for entry into a US College without taking any further classes)

Whereas on the other hand, to qualify through the vocational education route, the vocational degree needs to be of an higher order. What I mean is that a auto mechanic or a plumber will not qualify -- they need to have an higher order skill as listed in the DOL website. The DOL determines the criteria on this actually.

I am not too sure about the specifics though.

It is weird because in some countries you can go to a Vocational school after High School...and instead or additional since in the last case the Vocational school could be for some professions only be admitted after High School...which I did myself....

To be safe I would fill out High School and later explain the other education...since indeed some professions or vocational school might not be eligible...difficult area.

Your vocational school diploma should allow you to apply for admission to ANY college/university in the same country. Then you are fine. If you ability to apply is limited to any class of colleges (for instance to the colleges with the same profile), you are not allowed to participated based on your education.

Your vocational school diploma should allow you to apply for admission to ANY college/university in the same country. Then you are fine. If you ability to apply is limited to any class of colleges (for instance to the colleges with the same profile), you are not allowed to participated based on your education.

In my home country a Vocational school isn't given any admission into a College...I guess Vocational schools when you google it, is something completely different from country to country.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

Formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable
to completion of 12 years elementary or secondary education in the
United States. Because a United States high school education is
sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission,
in order for a foreign education to be equivalent to a United States
education, it should be sufficient to allow a student to apply for
college admission without further education. Vocational degrees
that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not
be considered equivalent to United States high school education.

Ths thing is so confusing.So if l ave a diploma wot should l write on the form.High skul education or vocational training.

Raev Not university .In a mid level college coz it doesnt ofer degrees only diploma.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, just want to clarify.

The entrant won't get disqualified by simply puting yes on vocational school check box, correct ?
And once they got picked, they have an opportunity to explain their work experience at the interview or on some form and DOS decides whether the work experience qualifies as DV program based on O*Net.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

KCC does not disqualify anybody (except when the two photographs are identical as files, not just as the same face; for duplicate entry). All disqualifying flags will be submitted to consulate. The consul makes a decision during the interview. If you are eligible based on combination of you education and work, you qualify.

I am confused. After 12 years of education (High school) , i completed 2 years of college getting a graduate degree. And then i completed 3 years of diploma in engineering. Now in my entry , what should i write as my highst qualification?