A question about I-751 name change

pipitastro

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I have a question about filing my I-751. In my conditional GC, I still have my maiden name. The reason was because I didn't know you could just change it to your married name on the initial GC application. Which I have to hear my husband's mouth for almost 2 years now about that!! Now, can I just file my I-751 with my married name, so that it'll show in my permanent GC? Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

Now, can I just file my I-751 with my married name, so that it'll show in my permanent GC?
as far as I know - no. You can do it when you file for your citizenship in a year.

really? hmmm any other input maybe? Cuz I soo want to change my name...

LucyMO is right... you can not change it in the I-751. You had to do it when you first got married and before you applied for AOS... now you have to wait until citizenship. What is the rush anyways?

Bummer.. Well I'm not planning to change my citizenship for a while, due to assets back home. In my country, basically foreigners cannot own anything. I really don't wanna be stuck with my maiden name until then. Is there any other way to change to my married name? :confused:

When I spoke to the immigration attorney I was told that you CAN change your name when you file I-751, you just have to write a cover letter with it and put your married name on the I-751 form and explain to them that you would like your 10 year green card to have your married name on it. I don't see why you couldn't. You can always double check this by calling USCIS. Another thing is, when you file for citizenship, they will do a background check, and if you change your name now, it may take longer for the background check to go through, and this may delay your citizenship application.

Is there any other way to change to my married name? :confused:

I do believe there is a way to do it through court, and then you'll pay to change the info on your GC. If you want it for free, you'll do it when you apply for US citizenship.

For background checks...I don't see how could take longer...if you must put anyway all your previous name used, and for sure her maiden name was one of hers.

It is my understanding that the only way to change your name on your I-751 is if there is a court rule (for example the ones who file under divorce circumstances). I mean, you can call and ask and see at the end if it's possible.

I had exact same question before I filed my I-751. I didn’t find any better answers except filing I-90 after I get my unconditional GC, so I just took a chance… and I filed I-751 with my married name.
I included my marriage certificate as a proof of legal name change and I listed all names used in my application. So far, my first NOA, my FP notice and my duplicate NOA came under my married name, just like I wrote in the I-751 application, no questions asked, no RFE seen…
My application still in process, but I expect my new, unrestricted, GC be in my married name.

~~~~~~~~~~
Question to girls who replied before me – why are you talking abut court? She is not trying to change her first name or take on some makeup last name. She is changing her last name to her husband’s. Marriage certificate is the legal and sufficient enough document that lets you change your last name without going through a court on all your immigration papers. And form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) is used for a last name change on GC. The only thing is - she cannot file I-90 before she gets unconditional card.

Update - Name change

I also took a chance and changed all my names to my married last name in all my I-751 application. I didn't even attached anything, I basically just changed it. I received my permanent GC with my married name!

As Jane mentioned, a marriage certificate is proof enough to change to your married last name. My conditional GC is on my married last name, but when I travel and I have to use my passport, which has my maiden last name, I always have to carry my marriage certificate to connect the dots..... thats why most applications have questions on what other names do you use.....

I also took a chance and changed all my names to my married last name in all my I-751 application. I didn't even attached anything, I basically just changed it. I received my permanent GC with my married name!

Me too! Got my unconditional GC in November, with changed last name.
Thanks for updating! Someone else might find it useful.

I had exact same question before I filed my I-751. I didn’t find any better answers except filing I-90 after I get my unconditional GC, so I just took a chance… and I filed I-751 with my married name.
I included my marriage certificate as a proof of legal name change and I listed all names used in my application. So far, my first NOA, my FP notice and my duplicate NOA came under my married name, just like I wrote in the I-751 application, no questions asked, no RFE seen…
My application still in process, but I expect my new, unrestricted, GC be in my married name.

~~~~~~~~~~
Question to girls who replied before me – why are you talking abut court? She is not trying to change her first name or take on some makeup last name. She is changing her last name to her husband’s. Marriage certificate is the legal and sufficient enough document that lets you change your last name without going through a court on all your immigration papers. And form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) is used for a last name change on GC. The only thing is - she cannot file I-90 before she gets unconditional card.

Hi, I have a question. Can I file the I-90 together with the I-751. Or I have to wait until I receive my unconditional card? thanks!

Hi, I have a question about filing my I-751. In my conditional GC, I still have my maiden name. The reason was because I didn't know you could just change it to your married name on the initial GC application. Which I have to hear my husband's mouth for almost 2 years now about that!! Now, can I just file my I-751 with my married name, so that it'll show in my permanent GC? Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

Hello, I have a question similar to yours, my marriage certificate is with my maiden name and my social security and my conditional green card and all other documents ate with my maiden name, I didn’t know that I could change my last name on the marriage certificate and now I need to fill the I-751 form to remove de conditions of residence and I want to have my husband last name on it. Can I call the court where I married and ask them to change my last name, and then submit the form I-90 together with the I-751 or I have to wait for my new unconditional green card and then fill the form I-90. I don’t know what is the best option at this point.

Hello!
I see that it's been years after these kind of questions..
I'm here for the same reason.
Can I change my last name to my married name in the I-751 form? I don't want to wait until I apply for citizenship.
Thanks,