A few questions that bothers me about renewal GC

sekia

Registered Users (C)
Gretting everyone ,
i had asylee GC that expired in 2015 , i know i know life was hectic and busy with 4 kids
married with US citizen wife , should i make adjustment status when i renew my GC or just keep my status as an Asylee in GC?
i'd like to apply my citizenship afterward
thank you in advance

newacct

Permanent resident status is permanent and doesn't expire, even though the card does. (though I am not sure why the 10-year card expired in 2015 if you got it in 2007) If you stayed in the US, you are still a legal permanent resident. You can simply renew your green card at any time. You can also apply for naturalization now, since you already have way more than 5 years (actually only 4 years needed for GC from asylee) as a permanent resident.

sekia

Registered Users (C)
Permanent resident status is permanent and doesn't expire, even though the card does. (though I am not sure why the 10-year card expired in 2015 if you got it in 2007) If you stayed in the US, you are still a legal permanent resident. You can simply renew your green card at any time. You can also apply for naturalization now, since you already have way more than 5 years (actually only 4 years needed for GC from asylee) as a permanent resident.
thank you for replying , apologized yes its expired on 2017 it must be typo when i type it ,
do i need to renew GC and apply the naturalization ?

newacct

do i need to renew GC and apply the naturalization ?
It's kind of unclear. Some people say you need to renew your green card if it is valid for less than 6 months at the time you apply for naturalization. Some people say as a permanent resident you always have the right to apply for naturalization regardless of whether you have a valid card. I don't know.