9 weeks and counting after approval, still no visa....

DougWalker

Greetings!

My finance had her interview at the consulate 9 weeks ago, at which time they said congratulations, you're approved and you will be receiving your passport back along with the visa in the mail.

They still have not sent her passport back with the visa, and its been 9 weeks since we were there.

I contacted they senator's office and they called the consulate and told her "the visa is in administrative processing" and could offer no further information, nor a time frame of when we can expect to receive that.

There is an email address to the consulate however it goes unanswered. The phone number for the consulate is just a recorded message that says we should expect the visa at the end of 3 weeks. (We are way past that).

Is the 9 weeks+ processing time typical? What is the longest this could take?

Is there any way to find out what exactly is going on and at least get some time of semi-firm time frame?

Thanks!
DW

Canadian Citizenship, Montreal Consulate.

Any idea what kind of processing they have to do?

In the interview the guy made is sound like they just have print out the visa, then drop it in the mail.

What other time frames have you heard of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has your fiancee' lived in Canada all her life? Has she spent some time time living elsewhere? Basically the consulate is awaiting the final "go-ahead" from any of the various US federal agencies. If she was born in a different country, or lived outside Canada during her life, her background check will be a tad more intensive and thus a candidate for delay.

Canadian Citizenship, Montreal Consulate.

Any idea what kind of processing they have to do?

Thanks for the info!

No, she has only lived in Canada for 7 years.

It would have been nice if they explained that to us at the interview.

What federal agencies do they check with? You'd think the CIS would have done all this already, or even the consulate, as they had the file for 5 months before the interview.

That explains it. Depending on where she was born and where all she has lived before moving to Canada, different US federal agencies and perhaps foreign agencies will work together to complete the background check. When I was a K-1 applicant at Montreal in 2002, a complete background check was performed for me too. Canada was the 9th country I had lived in during my life. I have no idea how many of those 9 countries were involved in my background check, but it was complete by the time I had my K-1 interview.

No, she has only lived in Canada for 7 years.
What federal agencies do they check with?