485 Question and MBA

av35

Registered Users (C)
I had applied for my 140/485/EAD back in June 2003. My 140 is approved. But I am still waiting for my FP1 and 485.

I had written for GMAT and got admission to Stanford and MIT in Fall 2004(Sep 2004).

Now, I am in a terrible dilemma.
- Quit my job and join Univ(on F-1)
or
- Quit my Univ admission and continue with my GC sponsoring Employer until I get my 485( which is practically forever!). These univs don't defer admission till 2005. So I have to apply again with higly competitve applicants.

What do you guys suggest?
If I contact some senators/congressman, will they be able to help in some way?

Pls give some ideas

Thansk

Is there any senator

av35 said:
I had applied for my 140/485/EAD back in June 2003. My 140 is approved. But I am still waiting for my FP1 and 485.

I had written for GMAT and got admission to Stanford and MIT in Fall 2004(Sep 2004).

or
- Quit my Univ admission and continue with my GC sponsoring Employer until I get my 485( which is practically forever!). These univs don't defer admission till 2005. So I have to apply again with higly competitve applicants.

Pls give some ideas

Thansk

Is there any senator

My friend,

These are very personal decisions. It is you and only you that decides. Studying on F1 and applying for your GC are two very different things.
The GC is theoretically for a "future" job, so you can theoretically be able to have it going on depending on your employer and also pursue your academic interests in ivy league schools. Hope you have the money or a scholarship; I am not sure if you need to go back to F1 status. What is these schools' policies?

Senators: The Senate has 50 X 2 = 100 Senators. Pick a number from your state.

cinta, i have a question here. He filed for AOS based on employment. If he quit the job and go for studies, wouldnt that jeopardise his AOS application ? Even for AC21 to get applied, he needs to prove that he is in "same or similar" job.

cinta said:
My friend,

These are very personal decisions. It is you and only you that decides. Studying on F1 and applying for your GC are two very different things.
The GC is theoretically for a "future" job, so you can theoretically be able to have it going on depending on your employer and also pursue your academic interests in ivy league schools. Hope you have the money or a scholarship; I am not sure if you need to go back to F1 status. What is these schools' policies?

Senators: The Senate has 50 X 2 = 100 Senators. Pick a number from your state.

Thanks Cinta for the reply.
Theoretically, if things had gone according to schedule(485 decision in 6 months), I would have had my GC by now. And I could have gone back to school. At this point, I can fund my studies(that makes it one less thing to worry about)

I am 31 now. If I quit my GC and go to school, when I come back, i have to take a job on F-1 OPT and start my GC all over again. It's going to hit me hard (even if you go to an ivy league school).

What chance do we have to make it in America and pursue our American dream(when you are not able to join an Ivy league school, just because we are stuck in this 485 black hole)?

Do you think contacting my local Senator will help?(especially if that guy has gone to the same schools that I have got admission into)

Tricky Situation

I think you should consult a good lawyer. There may be ways to keep your 485 alive while going to school. Technically, the fact is that your employer has sponsored you for a future job. Though i don't know if this theory holds good, being in adjustment of status and going to school is different from the fact that the employer has a job reserved for you when your GC is approved. But consult a lawyer, I think you might find a way to do both.

On the other hand, you know yourself much better. So give a thought to appearing for GMAT again next year and what chances do you think you stand to get into IVY league again?

And god willing, the FP notice could be sent out tomorrow and you may receive 485 approval before the Fall session starts. consult sheila murthy or rajiv khanna.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i was very interested in the mba, i would do the following.
(1) get hold of a desi company & file AC21.
this i would do to keep alive the I485
(2) get admitted to stanford & get a job around the area.
this i would do to keep alive myself.
(3) hopefully get the gc & complete the mba.
this i would do to keep alive the 'american dream'

good luck with your mba & gc

I think you can take a leave of absence from your current job for studies and in case you get a RFE, since GC is for future employment, your company can provide a letter saying that you intend to return to your current job and that they intend to bring you back after completing your studies. According to my lawyer, in case of RFE, you have to prove your's and company's intention to continue this job.

Also, I think you may have difficulty changing to F1 if you have already applied for immigration application

I hope this helps.

I was in the same boat 2 years back when i got in to two schools in Pennsylvania (top 5 and top 15). Since my company was quite flexible and was ready to process GC at that time, i took the top 15 school (because it was around the place i work). Now they have laid me off, (GC is half way through). I could not get any jobs near my school with my skill sets and i have to move. I decided to take a LOA from school and wait for the GreenCard.
One thing i would recommend is to go check and see how many years that a school would allow you to graduate. Then join full time for a couple of semesters and take LOA from school. At that point schools tend to give you more time to graduate and you can go back and get some work. Get your GC and then go back to school again.

Pros of going Full time with F1 :
You can have the fun that comes along with the school.
Give more time to school and studies.

Cons:
Once you graduate with no GC, there are fewer jobs for internationals. According to the statistics from the top ranked schools, internationals on an average makes less salary than the PR and USC.

I have seen my friends taking both roads and been successful at it, but again its a matter of choice. If you know what you want to do, then it will be a easy piece of cake. If you plan to settle in USA then keeping the GC alive is the best option (which is what i took). I personally felt that i have to to atleast break even the money i spend for education before i leave US. But If you dont care and will be successful in your home country then go ahead and convert to F1. (I dont know if you would have issues converting though)

MBA issue

My understanding is that you can go to school as long as you have an offer of employment (in case of an RFE) and a valid EAD. The valid EAD means that you do not need to apply and switch to an F-1 visa. You wouldn't be able to do that anyway due to intent to immigrate. Infact as long as you have an EAD you do not need to apply for any other visas. The school will ask you to provide valid status and the EAD is all they will require.

Definitely get advice from a good lawyer, spend some money and let me know as well. (I'm probably going to be in the same boat!)

Exact same boat!

Am in the same dilema! I got this offer from a Top 10 school in my field and don't want to miss it. But as like most on this page, am stuck in 485 hole. I thought this page would give me some pointers. Still confused what to do ... these are the options as I see now:

If my company allows me to work remote, then I can try to manage both (my company does not allow education leave, strange!) until approval.

I can try to switch job, enter school with EAD and use AC21 with new job. But as things are, it's not easy to get a new job.

Anyways, I should consult a good lawyer about these. Another question to all of you out there (would really appreciate a response).

Would working for the university qualify for AC21? I have a good assistantship offer along with full tution waiver and health insurance (equivalent to almost 80% of my LC salary). The title would obviously be different ... but will be working generally in the same area.

av35 said:

or

Pls give some ideas

Thansk

Is there any senator

I also have another concern for you. i heard from this forum that one should have the intention to stay with the current employer / profession at the time that green card is approved. it means even you get you 485 approved today, it may not be a good idea to pursue MBA right away since you clearly show that you have a clear intention to change you profession. this may result in a fraud accusation in the future. i personally never believe this theory. but a lot of other folks and lawyers raised this issue. just let you be aware of it

The bottom line is:
GC is very important- it opens lots of doors. GC perhaps opens more doors than a MBA-even ivy league.
You can have GC even while at school- if your company cooperates. Talk to them about it.
Senator etc do not necessarily expedite. Your case is too recent for anyone to help.
Good Luck.

YOu are so smart!!! How you get into Stanford's and MIT's program??
How many years of experience, and which company? GMAT score?? Other qualifications.
I am sorry this is a non-immigration question.

Just want to congrtulate you. :D

av35 said:

or

Pls give some ideas

Thansk

Is there any senator

I would give higher priority to the GC process. Of course the ideal outcome is to keep the process going and also attend school in the fall (only a good lawyer can provide the correct advice) If you give up the GC now then you will likely have to wait 1+ years post graduation to apply for GC as most new employers (at least major corporations) typically require one year of employment before starting the GC process. So overall you will be delaying your GC by 4+ years. I am pretty sure that you will be able to get into a top ten school (if not Stanford or MIT) next year too. You want to leverage your MBA with the max post MBA career "bump" - not having a GC can limit choices (even if MBA is from a top school). First hand experience - MBA from top 5 school. EB1A Sep 2002 - still waiting.

Goodluck!

Hi Av,
My fried did the exact same thing except his college was michigan.

Anyways, he too take AOL (absence of leave) stating that he wants to go to school to enhace his carerr better...blah blah blah.

Never notified INS of such and just hoped for the best. He recently go approved while he was in school.

Hope you have the same luck.