485 processing time depending on country/background?

mvkid

All of us have seen select cases of I-485 processing times that take a lot longer than the reported processing times, e.g., some cases from 2003 or even 2002 are still pending, even though the USCIS is reporting processing times of Oct 2004 (or something).

For those ppl whos I-485 case has been pending so long -- what countries are you from, or what is the origin of your name?

Name checks / background checks are the most common "excuse" by USCIS for abnormally long processing times -- and in the light of 9/11, one could see the FBI being more thorough with names that they think might look suspicious in terms of country of origin.

For the people whose I-485 cases have been pending this long -- can you either confirm this (e.g. suppose you are from Syria or your name is of middle eastern descent) or is your case a counter example of this theory (e.g. you are from Canada with an English name)?

Thanks.

Matt

Muslim Female from India. Husband non-muslim. Both name checks pending. I do know one Shah whose name is in pending status. My brother's gc was pending way beyond processing times from Vermont Service Centre. His eventually cleared 6 months beyond processing times.

Jajabhor

Israel/Canada, pending since 4/04. European name.
I know one muslim Abdul Mohammad cleared in 2 weeks...

from India

mvkid said:
All of us have seen select cases of I-485 processing times that take a lot longer than the reported processing times, e.g., some cases from 2003 or even 2002 are still pending, even though the USCIS is reporting processing times of Oct 2004 (or something).

For those ppl whos I-485 case has been pending so long -- what countries are you from, or what is the origin of your name?

Name checks / background checks are the most common "excuse" by USCIS for abnormally long processing times -- and in the light of 9/11, one could see the FBI being more thorough with names that they think might look suspicious in terms of country of origin.

For the people whose I-485 cases have been pending this long -- can you either confirm this (e.g. suppose you are from Syria or your name is of middle eastern descent) or is your case a counter example of this theory (e.g. you are from Canada with an English name)?

Thanks.

Matt

Both of us are Hindus from India (with Indian names) & my wife's name check is clear whereas mine is pending for almost a year. Have emailed/snail mailled/faxed FBI (Hardy/Hooton/etc) & Congressman but name check still pending.

Chinese female. Name check took over two years to complete. WAC02-046 (Nov. 2001 case). Finianlly name check cleared and case approved 4/21/05.

I have very common, confusing, short name.