485 approval while out of US, visiting home country

Do you have valid AP or valid H1B/H4/L1/L2 stamp in your passport. Then the airlines will allow you to board the flight and then at the port of entry they will verify the I485 approval and let you in. If you dont have AP or H1B/H4/L1/L2 visas, then the airlines might not allow you to board the flight. You may have to wait to get the GC in mail at your US address (if FP code 3), then have it mailed to your overseas address and use that to re-enter. Alternatively, I have heard that the US consulate might be able to provide travle documents, but that it might take a lot of effort and/or a long time.

eb1,raj Thanks for clarifying, I have the AP, no H1

wanted to understand the process difference in this situation compared to the one when one receives 485 approval while in US. I recall having read somewhere earlier not sure though that in this situation one is entered into US subject to inspection and has to go for interview etc..or is the entry still the same way on AP or as perm resident, what they do at the port of entry what stamp is put on there
Raj1994 said:
Do you have valid AP or valid H1B/H4/L1/L2 stamp in your passport. Then the airlines will allow you to board the flight and then at the port of entry they will verify the I485 approval and let you in. If you dont have AP or H1B/H4/L1/L2 visas, then the airlines might not allow you to board the flight. You may have to wait to get the GC in mail at your US address (if FP code 3), then have it mailed to your overseas address and use that to re-enter. Alternatively, I have heard that the US consulate might be able to provide travle documents, but that it might take a lot of effort and/or a long time.

WorryForGC said:
wanted to understand the process difference in this situation compared to the one when one receives 485 approval while in US. I recall having read somewhere earlier not sure though that in this situation one is entered into US subject to inspection and has to go for interview etc..or is the entry still the same way on AP or as perm resident, what they do at the port of entry what stamp is put on there
If the officer come to know about the approval there will be deferred inspection. That means you will have two weeks( I am not sure) of time to get the stamping done by going to local office.

thanks tammy,

how is a deferred inspection different or what does it mean, so is one entred as a PR, going to local office for stamping does it involve any risks.
would an arrest record for DV make any difference, with case dismissed as nolle pros
tammy2 said:
If the officer come to know about the approval there will be deferred inspection. That means you will have two weeks( I am not sure) of time to get the stamping done by going to local office.

WorryForGC said:
how is a deferred inspection different or what does it mean, so is one entred as a PR, going to local office for stamping does it involve any risks.
would an arrest record for DV make any difference, with case dismissed as nolle pros
All the security checks including arrest records are verified prior to the approval itself. Once the approval is done going for the inspection is just a formality.

I have no idea of what they ask in deferred inspection. But my best guess is it same as stamping after GC approval.