485 Approval & welcome notice

vsaksena

Registered Users (C)
Today (more than 7 weeks after we got our 485 approved at a local USCIS offfice) we recieved the "welcome notice" in the mail.

The letter actually is an I-797 (Notice of action) which has the case type listed as I-181 - CREATION OF RECORD OF LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENCE and the Notice type as Welcome Notice.

There is no "welcoming statements" in the body of the letter. Rather the body has the following text

Your application for permanent resident status is being processed. If approved, a permanent resident card will be mailed directly to you from our Immigration Card facility. If you do not hear from us within 30 days of the date shown on this notice, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283

Is this the norm? Is this the famed Welcome Letter?

If so why would they have so very conflicting & weird language in the body of the notice which has the connotation that our permanent resident status application has still not been approved?
Anyone has similar experiences?

would appreciate feedback from forum members

Regards

Vikas

We received our welcome notice. However, the case type is I-485 Application to Adjust to Permanent Resident Status. The Notice Type is Welcome Notice . Then the text says: "Welcome to the United States of America." This is to notify you that your application for permanent residence has been approved. IT is with great pleasure that we welcome you to permanent resident status in the United States.

And then there's more. I'm not sure on what you received, but this is the Welcome Notice that we have. Maybe it's different if it was approved by a local office. Our case was approved by NSC.

I hope this helps.

Vsaksena,

Can you tell us which center sent you this welcome letter? Our cases were approved in NYC local office on 4/26/2006, and we haven't received the welcome letters yet. Thanks!

NY-NIW said:
Vsaksena,

Can you tell us which center sent you this welcome letter? Our cases were approved in NYC local office on 4/26/2006, and we haven't received the welcome letters yet. Thanks!

Did you now the reason for a delay?
Was it a clearance or name check or FBI check?
or something else?
I had an interview on March 9, - still nothing :mad:
I also contacted a congressman. May be it will help.
How long have you been waiting to receive a respond from congressman?

NY-NIW said:
Vsaksena,

I got the welcome notice from the Vermont service center. My case/file was transferred to the Boston district office & from there to the Manchester, NH local office. We were interviewed in Dc 2005, but could not get approved as there were no Visa #s available for our PD.

when our PD became current in May, we went back to the Manchester USCIS office & they approved our case & we got our passports stamped on May 12th. We did not get the above mentioned "strange" Approval letter till the 26th of June

vsaksena,

Thanks! In our case, we were told by the congressman that our approval documents were transferred to VSC already, but the lady didn't mention when they were transferred. She is on vacation and asked me to call her back after the holiday.

By the way, have you done biometrics? We gave them the new style photos during the interview, I am wondering if the biometric is required to produce the cards. Thanks again.

NY-NIW said:
vsaksena,

Thanks! In our case, we were told by the congressman that our approval documents were transferred to VSC already, but the lady didn't mention when they were transferred. She is on vacation and asked me to call her back after the holiday.

By the way, have you done biometrics? We gave them the new style photos during the interview, I am wondering if the biometric is required to produce the cards. Thanks again.

not sure what biometrics is, We did get our finger prints taken (all fingers, both hands) a 2nd time as the 1st set expired in Dec 2005.
In addition we also get our index finger ink prints on some kind of form which was for I believe request to get card printed (this was at the time of our interview back in Dec 2005.

vsaksena,

Thanks! What you did is the regular FP. I have done it for three times. For biometrics they take digital GC-style photo and FP of one finger for the purpose to generate physical card. I did once for my EAD, but never did it for I-485.

Please keep update in this forum when you get the cards. Best luck!

got my perm res cards

NY-NIW said:
vsaksena,

Thanks! What you did is the regular FP. I have done it for three times. For biometrics they take digital GC-style photo and FP of one finger for the purpose to generate physical card. I did once for my EAD, but never did it for I-485.

Please keep update in this forum when you get the cards. Best luck!

I got my permanent resient card in the mail today; not yet for my wife.

Hopefully within a few days; 1st time we have had anything that I & my wife did not get on the same day....

will update when she gets hers

Regards

Vikas

Congratulations!

Congratulations Vsaksena.

Have you received one of the 3 emails regarding your case approval?

1. This case has been approved. On xxxx yyyy, 2006 ….
2. On xxx xyx, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card….
3. On xxyy xxyy, 2006, a welcome notice was mailed for this case

Also, can you share the timeline of these emails, cards and LUDs on your case after approval?

Have you received a letter in mail with the approval I-797 notice and/or welcome letter?

My case has been approved yesterday June 28th 2006, and I'm traveling out of the country in 2 weeks, so trying to understand if I will receive the cards on time before departure.

BTW, did you file with TSC? Has it been approved by TSC?

Thanks ahead for sharing.

Rambi.

vsaksena said:
I got my permanent resient card in the mail today; not yet for my wife.

Hopefully within a few days; 1st time we have had anything that I & my wife did not get on the same day....

will update when she gets hers

Regards

Vikas

picture in the card

vsaksena,

Congratulations! It must be a great relief when you got the card. Hopefully your wife's will arrive this week.

Here I have a quick question: was the picture in the card generated from the new style photo you submitted? I assume it is because you didn't do the biometrics. Please let us know. Thank you very much!

NY-NIW.

Rambi said:
Congratulations Vsaksena.

Have you received one of the 3 emails regarding your case approval?

1. This case has been approved. On xxxx yyyy, 2006 ….
2. On xxx xyx, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card….
3. On xxyy xxyy, 2006, a welcome notice was mailed for this case

Also, can you share the timeline of these emails, cards and LUDs on your case after approval?

Have you received a letter in mail with the approval I-797 notice and/or welcome letter?

My case has been approved yesterday June 28th 2006, and I'm traveling out of the country in 2 weeks, so trying to understand if I will receive the cards on time before departure.

BTW, did you file with TSC? Has it been approved by TSC?

Thanks ahead for sharing.

Rambi.

No I have not recieved any emails or LUDs. Since our case was transferred to the Local office, our online status has not changed either (still says On September 27, 2005, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to our office in BOSTON, MA for them to schedule and conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. Our office in BOSTON, MA will notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your case.)

We did get the approval letter in the email from the local office, and the afore-mentioned "strange" Welcome letter from VSC on June 26th, 7 weeks after we got our approval. The card took another 3 days.

If you are travelling I would suggest going to the local office & get I-551 stamp on your passport, as USCIS is very unpredictable about lead times

BTW we filed with VSC

Last edited by a moderator:
NY-NIW said:
vsaksena,

Congratulations! It must be a great relief when you got the card. Hopefully your wife's will arrive this week.

Here I have a quick question: was the picture in the card generated from the new style photo you submitted? I assume it is because you didn't do the biometrics. Please let us know. Thank you very much!

NY-NIW.

Thanks! My wife just called to tell me that her card came in today's mail. Yes HUGE relief, been a long road.

The picture on the card is the "new" style (face front & not the older profile style. When we went to the local office with Infopass in May (we called the officer who had interviewed us back in December, to tell him that our PD was current, and he asked us to come over the next day) we took pictures with us. These are the ones that are on the card.

All the best, hopefully you will get your cards very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

vsaksena said:
No I have not recieved any emails or LUDs. Since our case was transferred to the Local office, our online status has not changed either (still says On September 27, 2005, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to our office in BOSTON, MA for them to schedule and conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. Our office in BOSTON, MA will notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your case.)

We did get the approval letter in the email from the local office, and the afore-mentioned "strange" Welcome letter from VSC on June 26th, 7 weeks after we got our approval. The card took another 3 days.

If you are travelling I would suggest going to the local office & get I-551 stamp on your passport, as USCIS is very unpredictable about lead times

BTW we filed with VSC