365 / more Days @SESA

just in case

just in case if you guys haven't heard yet, they are proposing a new bill which is currently in the senate, which will allow for a 7th year extension if you have an LC application that is 365 days old and your 6 years is expiring. there might be a final vote on it today. lets see.

bill passed the senate

the bill has been passed by the senate and the president is expected to sign it in the next couple of days, this will alow us to extend beyond six years in one year increments if labor is pending for more than 365 days. good luck to you all.

Re: bill passed the senate

This is great news, for me personally and the many others who I am sure are in similar position. Jim Mills pointed out long time back that according to current law I do not qualify for extension. I guess I will now be clear once this becomes law (few more days?).

Here is the text from Shusterman's ticker (http://shusterman.com/):

Congress Passes 7th Year H-1B Extension & Expands Conrad Program

Last night, the Congress passed the Justice Department authorization bill, and sent it to the President for his signature.

The bill contains a number of important immigration provisions.

Chief among these is a section which permits a person whose labor certification has been pending for a year or more to obtain H-1B extensions beyond six years. This provision applies to persons who have left the U.S. or who are no longer in H-1B status.

Also, there is great news for physicians seeking J waivers. The bill expands the number of J waivers that each state can sponsor from 20 to 30 annually.

We will detail and analyze these provisions in the October issue of SHUSTERMAN'S IMMIGRATION UPDATE.

Help!

Is the new law of any help to me ??

Here is my situation :
My labor was initially filed from California by my company in June 2001. However they withdrew it in July 2002 because they had laid off too may people. They went on and refiled it from another state in Aug 2002. However my H1 expires in March 2003. Would I be eligible for an extension based on the initial application (which my company had withdrawn) ?

Re: Help!

Hi Iamtiredofthis,

Once an application is withdrawn, it is as good as cancelled. You won't probably be benefitted by the new bill (it hasn't been signed into law yet by the President). You might want to double check this with your attorney.

:(
mhsoor