365 / more Days @SESA

vansuram

Registered Users (C)
Could someone out there calrify this issue pls.
Its been more than 365 Days in SESA and expiring the 06 Year limit. Is it possible to extend for the 07th year ?

Please leave the I-140 filing out of context.
I have read most posts in this forum but none were clear about this issue. I hope this will be really useful, for all in this stage.

No it is not possible

As far as I know, it is not possible to extend your H1 beyond 6years just based on pending labor with SESA. You have to have I-140 receipt for extension. I was told by my lawyer that there are plans to amend the law and let people with pending labor to extend their H1 visa. I am not sure of the time line.

My extension has been applied with only LC Pending

My LC was filed in July 2001 at California. It has not been approved yet (of course). My lawyer has filed for my H1 7th year extension. They said the only requirement is that LC application has been filed.

See the 3th paragraph in the answer to Q14 at http://www.shusterman.com/h1bfaqins.html. It specifically states that
The only requirement is that 365 days have passed since filing of the labor certification or immigrant visa petition.

Hi Girgit,
Plz let me know when you got your approval for your 7th extension. I am also in Labour and closer to 6thyr.
According to that Link, it is enough if anyone crossed 365 days, they are elgible for filing for 7th yr extension.

Plz post the information, if anyone got any approvals for 7th yr extension ,, if thr cases are pending in Labour. Thx.

Desi_GC_ Waiting

girgit

My extension has been applied with only LC Pending
My LC was filed in July 2001 at California. It has not been approved yet (of course). My lawyer has filed for my H1 7th year extension. They said the only requirement is that LC application has been filed.

See the 3th paragraph in the answer to Q14 at http://www.shusterman.com/h1bfaqins.html. It specifically states that
The only requirement is that 365 days have passed since filing of the labor certification or immigrant visa petition.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Originally posted by desi_gc_waiting
Hi Girgit,
Plz let me know when you got your approval for your 7th extension. I am also in Labour and closer to 6thyr.
According to that Link, it is enough if anyone crossed 365 days, they are elgible for filing for 7th yr extension.

Plz post the information, if anyone got any approvals for 7th yr extension ,, if thr cases are pending in Labour. Thx.

Desi_GC_ Waiting
I sure will post here on any progress on my extension application.

How close are you to 6th year. I am told it can take 90 days for extension approval, so maybe you too should apply for extension....

Hi Girgit,

I still have more than 8 months for filing of the 7th year extension. I filed my labour in June 2001.

I heard more labour cases are pushed to non Rir from Rir. If it is pushed to non Rir , it will take years to get the Labour approval.

That's y i was wondering whether we can do the 7th yr extension, if labour application is pending more than 365 days.

Why labour department is not releasing clearly the AC21 regulations ?

Of course, the link cited above does not work. However, if you check the FAQs at Carl Shusterman's website (I chose that site since it was the site that was used in the nonworking link) you will find the following question and answer, note the last sentence in the second paragraph of the answer:

Q3. Does the law allow certain persons to extend their H-1B status for more than six years?

A. Yes. Section 104(c) allows ANY alien (1) who is the beneficiary of a FILED EB-1, EB-2 or EB-3 visa petition; and (2) would be eligible to apply for permanent residence except for the application of per-country limitations (e.g. born in India or mainland China) to apply to the INS for extensions of nonimmigrant status until his or her adjustment of status application has been adjudicated. Beware, the law states that the application "may" be approved. This means that it may be denied as well.

Section 106 contains special provisions requiring the INS to grant extensions, in one-year increments, past the six-year maximum, in cases of lengthy adjudications. This section only applies to (1) H-1B workers, (2) who are the beneficiaries of EB visa petitions or who have submitted applications for adjustment of status, and only if (3) 365 days or more have elapsed since (a) the filing of an application for a labor certification on their behalf or (b) the filing of an EB visa petition on their behalf. Notice that an H-1B worker whose application in still in the labor certification stage is NOT eligible for an extension under this section.

You can also see Sheila Murthy's site at http://www.murthy.com/UDbrin7y.html which states:

Sections 106(a) and (b) of AC21 set forth the following two requirements for such extensions: first, a labor certification application must have been filed for the person at least one year prior; and, second, either the I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) must also have been filed and be pending or approved, or else the I-485 must be pending. In those cases that do not require the filing of a labor certification, like the national interest waiver cases, the I-140 must have been filed a year prior and the I-140 or the I-485 must be pending.

You can also see:

http://www.immihelp.com which states:

Effective October 17, 2000, The American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act(AC21), permits H-1B non-immigrants to obtain an extension of H-1B status beyond 6-year maximum period, when:

- the H-1B non-immigrant is the beneficiary of an employment based (EB) immigrant petition (I-140) or an application for Adjustment of Status ; and
- 365 days or more have passed since the filing of a labor certification application, Form ETA -750, that is required for the alien to get employment based greencard, or 365 days or more have passed since the filing of the EB immigrant petition(I-140).

Our host, Rajiv Khanna, at http://www.immigration.com/faq/hvisa.html#419 states:

Q192 Does the law permit extensions beyond 6 years for H-1?

A192 Yes. Indefinite H-1 extensions in one-year increments can be obtained, if the I-140 is pending or approved (oe I-485 is pending) and the green card process was started a year ago. The GC process is started for:
- Labor Certification based cases; when the labor certification is officially filed with the local office (SESA); and
-EB-1 and National Interest Waiver cases; when the I-140 is officially filed withe INS.

or,

you can believe me. See http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6281&highlight=AC21+extension

This has been reiterated many times by many different people over the past year or so but nobody wants to believe it.

Originally posted by Jim Mills
Of course, the link cited above does not work.

Don't understand the "Of course" part. Why would you think the link does not work of course?

BTW link does not work because the editor included the trailing period (.) as part of the URL. You can click on the link and backspace over the dot and try reload to go http://www.shusterman.com/h1bfaqins.html

Originally posted by Jim Mills

However, if you check the FAQs at Carl Shusterman's website (I chose that site since it was the site that was used in the nonworking link) you will find the following question and answer, note the last sentence in the second paragraph of the answer [to Q3]:
The FAQ Referred here is http://www.shusterman.com/h1b-faq.html and it does mention that that an H-1B worker whose application in still in the labor certification stage is NOT eligible for an extension under this section.

However, yet another document, http://www.shusterman.com/h1bfaqaila.html which sounds more impressive since it is (apprently) from AILA, under Question 4 mentions:
Under AC21 section 106(a), an H-1B status can be renewed in one-year increments for beneficiaries of any employment-based petition until adjustment processing is completed as long as 365 days or more have elapsed since the labor certification application or immigrant petition was filed.

Conflicting information. So what's new? :confused:

My application has been filed and the receipt has been received. The INS is currently estimating that it will take approximately 30 to 60 days to process this type of matter.

If I don't get extension I will be returning to India and will let you know in a much shorter message using a slow connection from somewhere in India (or maybe a fast connection in Banglore/Pune:)

6 YR Extension

Hello Girgit,

Please update this post if your h1-b renewed successfully.. I have about 5 months remaining

Suersh

Ok, so Carl Shusterman has either changed his mind or did not express himself clearly.

Here is your quote and what it means. First, the quote:

Under AC21 section 106(a), an H-1B status can be renewed in
one-year increments for beneficiaries of any employment-
based petition until adjustment processing is completed as
long as 365 days or more have elapsed since the labor
certification application or immigrant petition was filed.

Now, that it means (my comments are in CAPITALS and in parenthesis):

Under AC21 section 106(a), an H-1B status can be renewed in one-year increments for beneficiaries of any employment-based petition (THIS IS THE KEY. TO BE A BENEFICIARY OF AN EMPLOYMENT-BASED PETITION, AN I-140 MUST HAVE BEEN FILED)until adjustment processing is completed as long as 365 days or more have elapsed since the labor certification application or immigrant petition (AGAIN, THIS MEANS AN I-140, THIS IS INCLUDED TO PROTECT EB-1 AND NIW FILERS SINCE THOSE CATEGORIES DO NOT REQUIRE A LABOR CERTIFICATION) was filed.

What about the other 3 attorneys? It seems to me that the wording is fairly clear actually, once you understand the meaning of "employment-based petition".

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the I-140 still can’ t be filed since the LC has been filed more than 365 days? An LC can be processed for several years. Only may the death execution exceed it. Since the problem is on the government side, why should H people lose their opportunity to take advantage of the 7th year H extension?

It is time to amend the law unless the LC processing long delay could be resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
7th yr appoved

Labor (RIR) filed in Mar 2002 (365 days prior to 6 yr. expiration) with TX-DOL
6 yr term on H-1B expires in Mar 2003
7th year extension filed in Mar 2002.
Got I-797C for the 7th year dated Aug 27, 2002
Labor still pending

I may have been fortunate but my attorneys knew very well of the risks involved since I had not cleared labor and hence no filing for I-140. They caution me (now) that if I need another extension, it is very unlikely that I will get it since INS has caught up with all the round-about fashion we go about to document I-140 filing. So, “reportedly” INS has started requiring a copy of labor certification be attached with H-1 extension, else petition will be denied. Not sure how forcefully this is implemented. But be prepared for the worst as well.

Your 6 yr term on H-1B WILL expire in Mar 2003, and your 7th year extension was filed in Mar 2002, one year before your H up. The 7th year H extension is the 7th year extension after the 6 year H is up. Do you understand what the 7th year means or you got something wrong? What is your H extension expiration date (I-94), Mar 2003, Mar 2004 or what else?

Clarification - Apologies for my typos

My apologies for having thoroughly confusing you guys with my typos:

LC-RIR filed: Mar 2001
6 yr H-1B expiration: Mar 2002
7th yr extension filed: Mar 2002 (just few days prior to expiration)
7th yr approval: Aug 27, 2002 (approval date on I-797C) - Mesquite, TX
Current validity: Mar 2003.

Labor petition was pending for more than 365 days when the extension was requested. No NOF or RFE were issued to provide evidence of labor certification approval or I-140 filing.

Hope this clears up things.

You were lucky

INS made a mistake and granted you an extension that you were not entitled to. INS sometimes makes mistakes and this seems to be one of those situations.

The law is clear (I still don't see how anyone can claim it is ambiguous) that you were NOT entitled to an extension of your H-1 status beyond six years in your situation.

I hope that no statements were made to INS that were untrue.

SIX Year Expiring

My Six Year TERM on H1-b is Expiring in MAR 2003. My labor application from my current employer is pending with DOL for last one year.

I have an approved I-140 from my previous employer. Is it possible for me to apply for an extension with any of these.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

Need advice from immigration Gurus

My current company filed for a H1-B EOS application in March 2002 CSC requesting H-1 visa till 2004. CSC issued a RFE letter indicating that my 6 year limit on my visa status is going to be reached soon, therefore on what basis should the visa be extended till 2004. However, the name of the beneficiary and the start dates for H-1 status were wrong i.e. though the case number mentioned in RFE letter matched with the receipt number, the letter have a different name and the start date.

In the last six years, I switched from a H-1 to a F-1 visa and then from a F-1 to a H-1. It took more than 15 months (yes no typo) to get my I-539 (change of status) application approved from CSC. During that time (15 months), I maintained full-time status, did not work ( on campus nor off-campus), and took at least the minimum number of course required (9 units). Once the F-1 application was approved I did a CPT for a company B. Finally, company B filed for F-1 to H-1 transfer which itself took 4 months. Company B also filed a Labor Certification application.

Q1: Shouldn't the time I was working for company B while on F-1 (via CPT), not count towards 6-years H-1 limit.

Q2: What about the time I was waiting for approval on my F-1 application (15 months). Is the time needs to be counted as H-1 or a decision on F-1 application is retroactive and applies from the date of filing the application and not from the date or approval of the I-539 application. (recapturing 15 months would help me a lot)

Q3: It has been more than 365 days since company B filed a labor application. I have a very strong case for NIW, can I file for NIW and apply for 7th year extension, even though I am not working for company B any more.

Q4: I have more than 6 months of vacation time accumulated over last 6 years, including a block of 4 months of time between two jobs. I have heard recapturing vacation time is difficult but is the probability better if the vacation time is between jobs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

member 7280

Could you please provide more info on how you got the extension. I am also in the same boat(Labor pending and 6yrs expiring in March03) and would appreciate your help.
If I do apply for extension in March03 and if the INS does not extend my h1 am I out of status ?

you can send an email to vasudev_g@hotmail.com if you want to reply in private.
thanks in advance