3 year Bachelors (general) degree

ohaidereee

Hi everyone,

I have a 3-year general bachelors degree in math from a Canadian university in Ontario.

Does my 3-year degree satisfy the education requirement for computer systems analyst? Specifically, will USCBP view it as a bachelor degree, even though it isn't the more typical 4-year honors bachelors degree that most Canadian students get?

Thanks!

Probably not. Not because it is only three years (which is acceptable for TN), but that it is not CSA-related.

Probably not. Not because it is only three years (which is acceptable for TN), but that it is not CSA-related.
Hey nelsona

Does that also mean , if one has masters degree ( related to software/IT) from Canadian university then that needs to be of 2 years atleast or can 1 year masters degree suffice?

Master's degree is not a requirement for TN. It *might* be useful for showing course load, but would not qualify as a "two-year diploma" which you would add to 3 years experience to get TN.

Master's degree is not a requirement for TN. It *might* be useful for showing course load, but would not qualify as a "two-year diploma" which you would add to 3 years experience to get TN.
Thanks nelsona for clarifying . So 3 years exp + 2 yrs of diploma in IT is what is needed - got it ! ..
Another related question - does it matter if 2 yrs diploma is obtained online ( from an accredited university in Canada or US ) as far as TN eligibility is concerned ?

Last edited:
If a candidate has a 2 year Bachelor and a 2 year MBA, both from outside of NAFTA, will he be eligible for TN status?
What if the candidate only shows accreditation of the 2 year MBA---coz that's easier to obtain.
Thanks,

I would not think so. Both together would need to be evaluated to be equivalent to a US bachelor's degree.

I would not think so. Both together would need to be evaluated to be equivalent to a US bachelor's degree.
Hi nelsona

Second option for CSA is 2 yrs of diploma + 3 yrs of exp ( as you mentioned earlier) - in here , how does one prove experience ?
I have employment letter from past company stating my designation , period of employment(4 yrs) and salary .However , job duties are not mentioned by the past employer in that letter .
I guess w/o having job duties on official letter head of the past employer , the work experience wont be counted - Is that right ?

Letters are provided by employers co-works or clients. the form is not important. they would be contacted if possible.
The 2-yr diploma MUST be from N America.

Folks

I have MBA in IT Management (2 yrs) from US university .. does that meet CSA job code requirement ?
FYI , I am getting a job as IT analyst from an employer and wondering where do i fit and whether my degree is relevant or not as far as TN visa is concerned

Only the officer would be able to make that call. Engineering is not CSA, regardless of your experience. Some officers will accept masters, but technically, it is not a diploma.

"Some officers will accept masters, but technically, it is not a diploma" -- Little confused . Do you mean masters in IT (2 years) cant be used as 2 years diploma , hence ruled out regardless of experience in this field ? .. Having said that , I get your point about engineering , but thought 2 years of post graduate degree in IT (from NA - be it associate degree or masters as long as its 2 years ) can be used if coupled with experience ..

Thanks for replying

I guess it is possible that they will accept this as a "diploma" but I repeat: "Only the officer would be able to make that call."