245I Green Card Wait time?

MrRoadRace

Greetings,

I am currently awaiting my green card via a relative application. I am also under the 245i amnesty which I applied for on April 28 of 2001. It has been 10 years and I checked my status online and it has been approved. I was told that they are still working on the visas from April of 2001 a while ago. My question is; what month are they on currently and where can I keep track of the visa dates so that I may submit my final application?

I was told by my lawyer that I only have about 1 year left to wait but im curious to know what month they are on.

Thanks in advance.

M. Ruiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your case is current and you should apply for AOS (adjustment of status) immediately. It will take anywhere from 4 to 6 months to receive your Green Card once your case is received and approved by the USCIS. 245i is not an amnesty but considered as LIFE ACT.
Your lawyer is ill informed and I may suggest switching!

Your replies are much appreciated. You are correct, I did research and 245i is not an amnesty. I will search for a new attorney since the one at hand is obviously not up to the task.

My question about AOS is that when I went to the immigration offices, I was told I still cant apply for an adjustment of status due to the fact that the visas aren't ready. They informed me that the department of visas is currently working on visas for a specific month and that I must wait until the month I applied in ( April 2001) comes into processing. Is there any truth to this? If so, how can I speed this up?

M. Ruiz

My question about AOS is that when I went to the immigration offices, I was told I still cant apply for an adjustment of status due to the fact that the visas aren't ready.

Who sponsored your I-130, and what country were you born in?

They informed me that the department of visas is currently working on visas for a specific month and that I must wait until the month I applied in ( April 2001) comes into processing. Is there any truth to this? If so, how can I speed this up?

Yes it's true, and no you can't speed it up.

Please answer RealCanadians questions and after that I will walk you through the entire procedure. You may not need services of an attorney after all.

I was born in Honduras and entered the country in 1995 and filed under 245i. The sponsorship came from my brother who is a U.S Citizen. That application was sent in April of 2001.

Fire your lawyer. You are current right now, but the dates for you (FB4-Other) will retrogress to October 15, 2001 on September 1st.

Fill out and file an I-485, G-325, I-485A and I-765 as soon as possible. Get a medical exam tomorrow if you can. The entire thing needs to be physically received by USCIS before the end of the month. You'll also need the filing fee plus $1000 245i penalty with filing.

You need to make a check in the amount of $2010.00. You need to include in the package, 4 photographs, copy of your birth certificates, proof that you were present in USA on or about December 21, 2000. There is list of USCIS doctors approved to do Medical Exams. It may cost you between 150 to 175 dollars. Get a copy of you medical exam results from you doctor. Your doctor will seal the envelope, do not open it and send that out with your completed package. You also need form I-864, affidavit of support. Your brother can do that for you or anyone else who makes enough money.
Any questions, I will PM you my e-mail address.
Good Luck

I have sent you an e-mail. Thank you all for your replies, your help is much appreciated. And btw the lawyer has been fired!

Fire your lawyer. You are current right now, but the dates for you (FB4-Other) will retrogress to October 15, 2001 on September 1st.

NO, that's not a retrogression but an advancement in the dates. If his priority date is April 2001, that's still current in September. PD moving to October 2001 means all with PD prior to that date can still submit AOS in September. Or am I missing something here?

If you don't file on time, your PD may go back based on the next visa bulletin, it hasn't happened but can happen. There are rumors that whole bunch of PD may retrogress in October.

If you don't file on time, your PD may go back based on the next visa bulletin, it hasn't happened but can happen. There are rumors that whole bunch of PD may retrogress in October.

PD for September 2010 is now available on USCIS's website and it didn't go back, it went forward.

I don't think it is likely to go back, more likely to go forward because April 2001 was the deadline for i245 so a lot of people filed then. A huge, extra amount of people must have filed in February, March and April 2001. This means after April a lot fewer people would be filing so it's not really likely to go back but forward.

Also, the priority date for September jumped 6 months forward! So how could October jump back? Not likely...

Its called retrogression. The uscis uses the left over number of visas before year end.

Visa Retrogression

Sometimes, a priority date that is current one month will not be current the next month. This is called visa retrogression, which occurs when more people apply for a visa in a particular category than there are visas available for that month. Visa retrogression most often occurs when the annual limit has been reached. When the new fiscal year begins on October 1, a new supply of visa numbers is available and usually, but not always, brings back the dates to where they were before retrogression.