• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2017 Visa issuance number released

Britsimon

Super Moderator
49067 visas were issued at foreign service posts. AOS would at at least 1000 more - probably closer to 1500. So - they exceeded the 50,000 limit, but not the 55,000.

Since they treated the 50,000 as a panic stop, I suspect they have always wanted to enforce 50,000, but have exceeded it in some years either as a deliberate decision (to use some NACARA visas) or simply through a lack of good controls/timely data. Going forward, I expect we will see 50,000 as the limit.

https://travel.state.gov/content/da...Y2017AnnualReport/FY17AnnualReport-TableI.pdf

Cool - thanks for that. Given many AOS cases get pushed toward the end of the year - I don't doubt AOS will hit "normal" numbers.
- even with the ones that were denied for no visa numbers left?

I'm still taking the view that the "panic stop" at 50k is due to the new administration...

Yup ;), Although I take being 24 visas short over whatever happened in 2012... (15.5k short) What happened back then?

In 2012 the IT department released the system with some test logic in place that meant all the winners were drawn from the entries made in the first two days. THe mistake was discovered, lawsuits ensued and the whole draw was invalidated and redrawn. There were many people that did not know about the redraw, so the response rate in that year was CRAZY low. A complete mess.