2 traffic tickets

texty

Hi:

I lived in the US for over 17years and I got 2 driving tickets in the last 2 years. These are the only two I got. I will apply for citizenship in March of 2012. I am a bit concerned how these tickets will affect my application. Here are the details.

I got the first ticket in October of 2010 for running a camera-enforced red light by less than 2 seconds. I was not speeding either. I paid the $75 fine online and retained the receipt.

I got the second ticket two days ago. Unknown to me one headlight was out and I was pulled over. At that time the officer told me that my inspection sticker had expired in August. I was really surprised as I have always been very good about keeping my vehicle papers current. But, I had surgery for cancer in late July and amid recovery and treatment decisions, I missed the inspection deadline. I was issued a ticket for $197. I will definitely pay this as well and retain the receipt.

My question is: will these tickets affect my chances for citizenship application? Can these tickets be grounds for denial? In the N400, how do I respond to the question on "have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?" If tickets are less than $500, is it true that they do not have to be disclosed? Or do I answer yes and bring the receipts with me during interview?

Any information will be appreciated. I am a bit concerned about this.

Thank you!

I had about 4 tickets all of them less than $500.I did not disclose it on the N400 FORM based on most of the infor i got on this forum.And i wasn't ask about it at the interview either.So i think you should use your best judgment or the GURU'S on this forum can also give you some good infor too.

Traffic tkts

Yes, you don't have to mention tkts unless they were over $500 a piece. Traffic tkts are considered under civil violations and not criminal.

Make sure to save all paid receipts and copies of your citations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi:

I lived in the US for over 17years and I got 2 driving tickets in the last 2 years. These are the only two I got. I will apply for citizenship in March of 2012. I am a bit concerned how these tickets will affect my application. Here are the details.

I got the first ticket in October of 2010 for running a camera-enforced red light by less than 2 seconds. I was not speeding either. I paid the $75 fine online and retained the receipt.

I got the second ticket two days ago. Unknown to me one headlight was out and I was pulled over. At that time the officer told me that my inspection sticker had expired in August. I was really surprised as I have always been very good about keeping my vehicle papers current. But, I had surgery for cancer in late July and amid recovery and treatment decisions, I missed the inspection deadline. I was issued a ticket for $197. I will definitely pay this as well and retain the receipt.

My question is: will these tickets affect my chances for citizenship application? Can these tickets be grounds for denial? In the N400, how do I respond to the question on "have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?" If tickets are less than $500, is it true that they do not have to be disclosed? Or do I answer yes and bring the receipts with me during interview?

Any information will be appreciated. I am a bit concerned about this.

Thank you!

Should not be a problem but make sure to have the tickets and receipts with you during the interview just in case the interviewing officer asks for them.

If it would make you feel better, I recently got the citizenship with 9 tickets(all < $500) . I don't think they affect your application in any ways. Now whether to mention it in the application or not(or mention it to the IO during the interview) is a highly debatable topic. I will leave it up to your judgement.

I did mention all of them in my application(using extra sheet) and even IO confirmed if they were all traffic tickets during the interview.

Traffic tickets MUST be disclosed in the application, if the tickets are for less than $500 you do not have to provide any documentation, but the tickets must be disclosed. However traffic tickets will NOT result in denial of citizenship but not declaring them may cause you issues.

Traffic tickets MUST be disclosed in the application, if the tickets are for less than $500 you do not have to provide any documentation, but the tickets must be disclosed. However traffic tickets will NOT result in denial of citizenship but not declaring them may cause you issues.

Where do you disclose it in the N-400 form? I don't see a place to disclose it even if I wanted to.

Where do you disclose it in the N-400 form? I don't see a place to disclose it even if I wanted to.

Under these questions:

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer
(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason? Yes No

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?

When you are pulled over and given a ticket by a cop, you are temporarily deprived of freedomt o move. That is "detained" by defnition.

The ticket always carries a charge.

There is a very biog advantage with disclosing traffic tickets with N-400. You can
always brag how honest you are later.