Dan Aquino

New Member
Hi My name is Dan and today i went to USPS passport agency . The guy from usps passport application wants me to send the original copy of my Father’s Naturalization and my original foreign birth certificate , but my dad said that only send the copy of his naturalization not the original because he’s scared that his original copy will never come back . will my passport application will get denied ? I sent my original birth certificate . I got my naturalization derived by my father and applying for us (blue) passport .


New Member
From my understanding, any certificate that is not original (including certified copy from USCIS) got denied and VERY RARELY a certified copy will be accepted.

My recommendation is to make a certified copy as back up and send the original since the chances are much greater with original certificate of naturalization of you father.


Registered Users (C)
If you go to the actual passport agency they will give you back your passport and originals on the same day. However you need a proof of travel within a week to be eligible. However I’m wondering why can’t you submit your dad’s passport (if he has one) instead of naturalization certificate as it is a valid and conclusive proof of citizenship as per DoS


New Member
Passport is NOT accepted for the secondary proof of citizenship if you are requesting the passport through the naturalization of a parent. They ONLY ACCEPT the Certificate of Naturalization of a parent as a proof of a citizenship through the father/mother.

I believe because they have to verify "the date" that the parent became a citizen since the passport lacks that information.


Well-Known Member
Been 5 months since OP posted, I am assuming he got an RFE for the original certificate but would be nice to get an update.