10,000 Admission Numbers for Asylees FY 2002: Approved!!!

No Title

This is indeed the good news. Thanks Alanpero for bringing the news. Hopefully my I-485 application will be approved and get stamped this year. I also hope that the INS announce the cut-off-date for FY2002 very soon. Happy Thanksgiving all!

No Title

Below is a press release from AILA confirming the approval of this PD.

President Signs Document Allowing Refugee Resettlement back to top

After a protracted delay, President Bush on November 21 signed the Presidential Determination (PD), a document that sets the maximum number of refugees to be admitted to the United States in a given fiscal year. The President fixed the ceiling for FY 2002 at 70,000. This number is the lowest refugee admission number in more than a decade, and a 50 percent drop since 1992. As a result of the long delay in signing the PD, far fewer than 70,000 refugees will likely be resettled this fiscal year.

Although the low number is disappointing, the signing of the PD came as welcome relief to those in the refugee community. During the two months that the PD went unsigned, virtually no refugees were resettled and more than 22,000 who had already been approved to come to the U.S. found themselves instead stuck overseas in limbo.

However, the signing of the PD was not the only roadblock in the refugee admission process. Another obstacle was an interagency security review of the resettlement program that was ordered in the wake of the September 11 attacks. That review was completed as of last week, according to State Department officials. Government officials have not released any information on the security review\'s conclusions, except a cable that the State Department sent to U.S. embassies on November 23, informing them of new security procedures to be applied to refugees traveling to the United States. Some of the \'new\' procedures were already in effect in certain areas.

Security procedures listed in the cable include the following:
· All cases of refugees who had already been accepted, and who are relatives of people already in the United States, are to be returned to the INS for an "anti-fraud and security review." According to the INS, the great majority of the refugees who fall into the affected categories are Angolans, Burundians, Congolese, Sudanese and Sierra Leonians. It is unknown how long that review will take; in any case it would further delay the arrival of some of the refugees who have already been accepted.
· Each refugee must be photographed, facing the camera and in profile, when he or she arrives for the interview that is part of a refugee application. This does not apply to those already accepted to come to the United States.
· Refugees must be compared with their photographs when they board flights on their way to the United States.
· Security checks already done for refugees accepted to come to the United States before September 11 must be repeated, if the checks were completed before November 1. According to an official at the State Department\'s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM), the databases used for checking have been improved.

No Title

Thanks Alanpero. I suppose the AILA will be the first to know when the INS announces the asylee adjustment cut-off-date for FY2002.

No Title

You\'re welcome. Yes, I believe so also. INS doesn\'t publicly report Cut-off dates, only through AILA. Also, sometime ago, I wrote my Congress person inquiring for his help to find out the status of my case, and he answered back with the cut-off date and other info he got from INS. This also work to get the cut-off date. Good luck