#1 Q: Is applying for the new PR card mandatory??

#1Chicago

Registered Users (C)
I landed in Canada in 2000.

I understand that the old IMM 1000 will not be good to enter
Canada after Dec 31, 2003.

Is getting the new PR card mandatory?

Will the old IMM 1000 be not valid to show your
legal status in Canada? other than entering Canada,
after Dec 31, 2003?

My idea is that i will apply for my Canadian citizenship in
Dec. 2003, also I don't need any Canadian documents to
get to Canada based on my US status, so do I really need
to go through all the trouble to get the new PR card?

Would failure to get the new PR card after Dec 2003 affect
my eligibilty to apply for the Canadian Citizenship?

Your thoughts and feed back is highly appreciated.

The new PR card is mandatory to re-enter Canada via commercial carriers after Dec 31, 2003.

If you do not plan on traveling outside of Canada via a commercial carrier or if you will have Canadian Citizenship on Jan 1, 2003 (and travel using your cdn citizenship), I guess you do not need to apply for your card.

Hope this helps.

Excellent !! Thank you dimple.

On the other hand, the new PR card needs to be renewed
every 5 years. How about the old IMM 1000?

Will the introduction of the new PR card declare the old
IMM 1000 as invalid (for purposes other than re-entering
Canada after Dec 31, 2003)?

If you do not apply for a PR card, you will not lose your PR status. I don't think your IMM1000 will automatically become invalid. However, there is no use for the IMM1000 (or the PR card for that matter) if you do not leave and re-enter Canada.

So, I guess, if you stay inside Canada forever (hypothetically), you probably need not worry about any documentation. On the other hand, would you need to show a PR card or IMM1000 when you apply for citizenship? Probably yes.

For most accurate info, I would call a CIC centre closest to you and verify. Hope this helps.

The IMM1000 becomes a historical document, once the PR card is received. If one has no intentions of leaving CANADA (including USA), then the PR card is not required. It is taking approximately 8 - 12 months to process the Citizenship application. What if one dosen't apply for PR Card, and then there is an emergency to go out of the country? I think it is risky. IMHO spend the $50 and get the card.