H1 6 years completing, can i come on L1

rama0073

Hi,
I am finishing my H1 quota for 6 years, is there a way to come to US on L1. What are the requirement for me to get an L1 after my H1 ( 6 years)

Thanks in advance
Rama

You will have to spend 1 year outside US to be eligible for H1 or L1. Time spent in Lx and Hx are all counted towards the 6 year limit.

Have you applied for GC anytime ? My H1 also expiring , leaving india after researching a lot. Work in one year in your overseas branch, if available.

Hope it helps!

Devi

Thanks

That is the last option i have left with, I thought L1 and h1 counters are different. Anyways Thanks for the info

L1 is possible only if you have worked in your overseas location for one year. The only chance for you to enter USA is if you have appled GC anytime last year, you can apply for 7th year extension after 365 days of your labor certification. Feel free to send me email to yagna@yahoo.com

I know it is an old post but if anyone is still getting updates.....

What if you come back on L1A under blanket L1 (if available) and apply for I140/485 at teh same time and get EAD. The process should take about 8-9 months as of now. Is that doable?

What if you come back on L1A under blanket L1 (if available) and apply for I140/485 at teh same time and get EAD. The process should take about 8-9 months as of now. Is that doable?

Yes, one could come on L1-A/B (Blanket/Individual) after spending 365 days outside US. Yes, you could apply for your I-140/I-485/EAD (concurrent) provided your LC, if required is cleared. Do chk the processing times. I'm sure they are longer than you're expected 8-9 mos.

But, then why would you do AOS when clock is reset? Isn't AOS a lengthy nerve wracking process compared to CP assuming files are clear. Another Q - if you're ready for I-485 why don't you initiate CP from where you're?

Even if you could come on the L-1A because that allows for 7 years maximum in the US in that status as opposed to 6 in H-1B status and the two count together, how would you qualify for the L-1A since in order to qualify, you have to show that you have worked overseas for an affiliate/subsidiary/parent of the US company to which you are seeking to transfer in L-1 status?!?!? If you've been working in the US in H-1B status for the past 6 years, then you could not have also been working abroad for a period of at least 6 months.

Lana,

What I meant was that I could work out of US for 6 months. I have that option. My attorney tells me that if I do come back after 6 months, I cnnot file for I 140. Is that true?

I was hoping to file for I140 and 485 in that last one year.