• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

The interview was smoothing at the beginning. The officer re-checked answers listed on the I-485. But at the end of interview, our officer mainly focus on our marriage status as if they review marriage-based green card application. He wanted us to prove our marriage like wedding photos, proposing photos, joint account, electric bills, insurance, lease agreement……etc.
We didn’t bring those documents. He asked us if we could submit the documents by 2 PM, then he didn’t have to mail RFE to us. He also mentioned he knew DV program has a due date; hence, it must be dealt with by October.
Thank you.
Yes, we got married after my wife was selected.
We think that might be the reason why the officer was so focused on our marriage status. Haha
Of course it is quite normal for the IO to focus on your marriage in such a situation. It is their job to confirm the marriage wasn't a sham or GC marriage. You should have anticipated that and gone in adequately prepared. You are fortunate the IO gave you guys the opportunity to return same day with the required evidence to demonstrate the genuineness of your marriage, as against asking you to expect a RFE in the mail. Anyway, congratulations.

Los Angeles (LA) FO Interview experience :
We were scheduled for 6/22 8:00 AM. We arrived at 7:00 AM, but there was still a long line outside already.
My wife checked in (She is principal applicant, besides I didn’t receive my IL), and we waited one and half hour until the officer called my wife’s name. We went into his office and saw my wife’s and my I-485 application on his desk. But the officer said he only had my wife’s interview appointment. We explained I am the derivative applicant. He accepted and interviewed both of us.

The interview was smoothing at the beginning. The officer re-checked answers listed on the I-485. But at the end of interview, our officer mainly focus on our marriage status as if they review marriage-based green card application. He wanted us to prove our marriage like wedding photos, proposing photos, joint account, electric bills, insurance, lease agreement……etc.
We didn’t bring those documents. He asked us if we could submit the documents by 2 PM, then he didn’t have to mail RFE to us. He also mentioned he knew DV program has a due date; hence, it must be dealt with by October.

So we rushed home as soon as possible, preparing all the documents related, and back to his office by 2 PM. He took our documents and said he would review our case and make a decision.

After leaving the building, our status renewed “Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed”. Around 3:15PM, the status showed “New Card Is Being Produced”.

And yesterday(6/23) our status renewed ”Case Was Approved”.

We would like to thank everyone (specially thank you @Sm1smom , @ivanze) in this forum. Every suggestion and information is really helpful for us. Without you guys, we cannot make it. Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Wow lucky and congratulations !

If you mean the originals, I brought them with me, but in my case the FO did not ask to see them.
I did include the copies, along with the certified translations in the application.

However, the interview letter specifies all docs that you must bring along, including original copy for each document submitted in the application.

Personally, I brought a full copy of my application, plus all original docs (e.g. birth cert, diploma, university degrees, expired passports), plus the other docs stated in the letter.
Hello @Sm1smom @SusieQQQ I was not aware that you had to bring all the original documentation - mine is across the world in my parent's home and would cost a fortune to get here not to mention time. It seems crazy to get it all here given it could be lost. Is this true or can I bring copies to the interview as well?

Hello @Sm1smom @SusieQQQ I was not aware that you had to bring all the original documentation - mine is across the world in my parent's home and would cost a fortune to get here not to mention time. It seems crazy to get it all here given it could be lost. Is this true or can I bring copies to the interview as well?
Yes, that is the expectation for an applicant to attend their interview with the original version of any submitted document - they may or may not request to see it, but that is the expectation. Nothing crazy about the requirement. The I-485 instructions says:

“You should submit legible photocopies of documents requested, unless the Instructions specifically state that you must submit an original document. USCIS may request an original document at the time of filing or at any time during processing of an application, petition, or request. If USCIS requests an original document from you, it will be returned to you after USCIS determines it no longer needs your original.”

If the CO wants to verify personally something is the same as the original, he or she will need the original.

I received my biometrics appointment letter on June 04 which was scheduled for June 21 but I was able to do a bio walk-in on June 6. My field office is in Philadelphia. As per the DV AOS timeline, the Philadelphia field office seems to be sending interview appointment notice at least before the biometrics appointment date but in my case, as per the USCIS contact center no interview has been scheduled yet and my case is currently at NBC. So, I was wondering if I am within the normal processing time based on the DV case processing time for the Philadelphia FO or my case was not given the DV priority and might be stuck at NBC?

Hey guys! We completed our biometrics appointment today morning (June 24, 2022) and this evening(June 24, 2022) I checked my wife and I's case status' and they both had changed to "On June 24, 2022, we ordered your new card for....". I am so thankful for this forum, our mom, and everyone on here that posts their questions and responses. Reading the AOS spreadsheet multiple times, all posts on here daily, and last year's forums questions, responses, and suggestions helped us file and properly frontload our application, this went a long way toward the success of our AOS process. I have updated my timeline on the spreadsheet too esp. for those at the San Antonio field office

Hey guys! We completed our biometrics appointment today morning (June 24, 2022) and this evening(June 24, 2022) I checked my wife and I's case status' and they both had changed to "On June 24, 2022, we ordered your new card for....". I am so thankful for this forum, our mom, and everyone on here that posts their questions and responses. Reading the AOS spreadsheet multiple times, all posts on here daily, and last year's forums questions, responses, and suggestions helped us file and properly frontload our application, this went a long way toward the success of our AOS process. I have updated my timeline on the spreadsheet too esp. for those at the San Antonio field office
Congratulations !

hey, congrats! just for reference, were you guys in any asylum pending state and/or have had an interview earlier?

I received my biometrics appointment letter on June 04 which was scheduled for June 21 but I was able to do a bio walk-in on June 6. My field office is in Philadelphia. As per the DV AOS timeline, the Philadelphia field office seems to be sending interview appointment notice at least before the biometrics appointment date but in my case, as per the USCIS contact center no interview has been scheduled yet and my case is currently at NBC. So, I was wondering if I am within the normal processing time based on the DV case processing time for the Philadelphia FO or my case was not given the DV priority and might be stuck at NBC?
Yes case is still within the normal processing time and I wouldn’t read much into what the tier 1 customer service rep says about case file location.

Hi @Sm1smom,

I have a few questions pertaining the steps after receiving the Green Card.

1) To my understanding, if already in possess of a SSN, I should contact the SSA to have it replaced with a new SSN card, removing the "INS authorization" condition.
Meanwhile, am I free to accept offers from other employers (while waiting for the SSN card replacement to arrive)?
Or should I refrain to do so, until I have the replacement in hand?

2) Is the Green Card already activated when issued, or shall I take specific steps to do so.
Do I need to exit the US and re-enter to have the GC activated, or there is no need to do so?

3) Does the immigration status automatically change when the Case is approved, or the GC is activated?

Thank you

Hi @Sm1smom,

I have a few questions pertaining the steps after receiving the Green Card.

1) To my understanding, if already in possess of a SSN, I should contact the SSA to have it replaced with a new SSN card, removing the "INS authorization" condition.
Meanwhile, am I free to accept offers from other employers (while waiting for the SSN card replacement to arrive)?
Or should I refrain to do so, until I have the replacement in hand?

2) Is the Green Card already activated when issued, or shall I take specific steps to do so.
Do I need to exit the US and re-enter to have the GC activated, or there is no need to do so?

3) Does the immigration status automatically change when the Case is approved, or the GC is activated?

Thank you
1. Yes you can immediately take up employment with any company/employer regardless of the restricted SSN card. The restrictions are no longer applicable once you become a LPR.
2&3. There’s nothing to activate. The LPR status is automatically effective with the GC issuance.